Why would you want a rainwater catchment system on Maui?
Some parts of Maui are not serviced by the County Water Department due to geography or lack of infrastructure, leaving land owners on their own when it comes to a water supply. This leaves you with few options...
- Drill a well - very expensive unless you're close to sea level
- Borrow from a neighbor - not a long term solution
- Spring or stream - whether this is allowed is debatable
- Water delivery - works in a pinch if you have somewhere to hold it
- Rainwater harvesting - a simple and effective solution in areas with ample rain
In any event if you have to provide your own supply of water you'll need a holding tank and a way to circulate water to your house and garden. Most people these days go with a Scafco corrugated metal circular tank that comes in easy to assemble sections. A solid cover is recommended to keep out sunlight and debris but a good tight mesh cover with a peak will suffice.
Rainwater catchment tank with hard cover in Haiku Maui
What are the benefits of rainwater catchment system?
- A renewable natural resource
- Rainwater is free and abundant
- Rainwater is soft with no minerals
- No spots on your car when you wash it
- Soft and shiny hair after showering
- Use less soap in the dishwasher
- No need for fabric softener
- You control what goes in your water
- No water bill
And here on Maui the Building Department has no authority over your water fixture count which means you can have all the faucets, sinks, hose bibs, pools, toilets and showers that you want. You won't have to scale back your building plans due to the size of your water meter.
Please contact me for more information about water catchment tanks and systems. I can steer you to the suppliers and advise you about the areas of Maui where this really works.
A lily pond in Haiku Maui
Thanks for reading my Maui blog...
Buying or selling real estate on Maui? That's what I do. Let me help YOU.
Georgie Hunter R(S) e-Pro, Hawai'i Life Real Estate Brokers
127 Hana Hwy. #G, Paia HI 96779
E-mail or call/text: 808 283-0635