Monday, May 29th is Memorial Day. Communities around the country will be saluting those soldiers that have served and died defending our freedoms. Memorial Day was originally known as Decoration Day, a day when the graves of those veterans who died were strewn/decorated with flowers.
"We cherish too, the Poppy red
That grows on fields where valor led,
it seems to signal to the skies
That blood of heroes never dies"
In Georgetown, MA we have many events to memorialize those veterans that have died in battle or passed on.
- Thursday, May 25 @9:00 a.m. The Penn Brook Elementary School presents it's annual Memorial day event to honor the dead and living veterans,
- Thursday, May 25 @6:00 p.m. Placement of flags to mark veteran grave sites at the Harmony & Union Cemeteries.
- Friday May 26 @8:00 a.m. The Georgetown Middle School holds it's annual Memorial Day event to honor the dead and living veterans.
- Saturday, May 27 the American Legion Post #211 will be hosting its annual Memorial Day Poppy Drive
- Monday, May 29 @7:45 a.m. American Legion Post #211 & VFW Post #7608 for morning ceremonies at Harmony, Union & South Byfield Cemeteries.
- Monday, May 29 @10:00 a.m. the annual Memorial Day March will commence with ceremonies at the Public Safety Building, Civil War Monument & Harry Murch Veteran's Park