Chester County originally included present-day Delaware, Lancaster, and Berks counties. In 1729, Lancaster County was formed, creating the western boundary of Chester County. In 1752, a northern boundary was established with the creation of Berks County. With the drawing of the Mason-Dixon Line in 1764, Chester County's southern border was determined.
Shortly after, residents began to petition to have the county seat removed from Chester. Not until 1786, however, was permission granted and the first court convened at Turk's Head. Two years later, the county seat of Turk's Head was renamed the county seat of West Chester.
Last night, West Chester was the site of the roll out of this year's summer series of Town Talks and Village Walks, beginning at the Chester County Historical Society on High Street. We were greeted by the Marquis de Lafayette, who helped us commemorate this year's theme, "A Fortnight in Chester County," or the local events surrounding the Battle of the Brandywine, September 11, 1777.
The walking tour guide informed us that even though the town named a street after Lafayette, there are separate East and West sections divided by an old Quaker school because the peaceful Quakers would not hear of a street named after a soldier crossing their property.
We also visited Marshall Square park, surrounded by houses ranging from the 18th to 19th centuries and featuring an obilisk in honor of the town's soldiers lost to the Civil War. (Sharpless House)
For a complete schedule of Town Tours, check out the schedule for the rest of the summer.
For information on older and historic homes in Delaware and Southern Chester County, contact Carolyn Roland, Your Older and Historic Homes Resource.