2016 was the hottest year on record and it looks like 2017 will top that. Now more than ever it’s important to ensure your clients are prepared to look for possible weather issues in the home that may affect their home’s sale or their purchase of a new home. Here are some tips from Pillar To Post Home Inspectors® that you can share with your clients.
Air Conditioner -
- Inspect the unit to make sure it's in good working condition
- The A/C must be leveled and free from obstruction.
- TIP: Do not fully cover your A/C unit during the winter or it will cause the fins to rust inside. Instead, consider covering it with a piece of plywood and secure it with a rock.
- Maintain your deck by ensuring it's stained or painted on a regular basis.
- Check the overall structure every spring and fall.
- Ensure there are proper footings to prevent sinking.
- TIP: Proper guardrails should be at least 36" to 42" tall
- Ensure entrance has a working fire-rated door with auto closure.
- Check that safety lasers on automatic door openers are aligned and operational.
- TIP: Use a wood block to test door closure for pressure.
Rodents/Pest Prevention -
- Check for common rodent entry points, including open gaps in the exterior.
- TIP: Another common entry point is where the A/C lines enter the house.
- Check for clogs and clear them. If you find any damage left over from the harsh months be sure to get it fixed to eliminate the possibility of developing water damage. TIP: Also, while you’re up by the roof, it’s worth doing a survey to see if there are any missing shingles or other types of damage.
- Any low areas you come across should be filled with compacted soil. A big rain can lead to flooding and foundation damage.
- TIP: Check to see that there are no large pools of water in the yard or in buckets or planters on the grounds. Insects will breed there.
Doors and Windows -
- Assess the wood around doors and windows to see if it’s soft with and if there is any rot. That could lead to further problems that are best fixed early.
- TIP: Use a tool such as a screwdriver to push in and gently check wood.
- Check to see if there is any damage from the winter months. Even if it looks good now is the time to have the entire structure professionally inspected and cleaned. The homeowner won’t be using it during the summer.
- TIP: It’s also a good time to clear away a pile of firewood outside (or inside) since there’s a chance something may be nesting under it, be sure to put on protective gloves before picking up any of the wood.
- Check to see if there have been any leaks or damage to hoses or faucets over winter. The flow from faucet should be good and strong or it might indicate some pipe damage.
Pillar To Post Home Inspectors® was founded in 1994 and is the largest home inspection company in North America with over 550 franchises, located in 48 states and eight Canadian provinces. Long-term plans include adding 500-600 new franchisees over the next five years. For further information, please visit www.pillartopostfranchise.com