Mushroom supreme! The giant mushroom in Searcy AR!

By
Real Estate Agent with RE/MAX Advantage
https://activerain.com/droplet/55Fr

Now that is a mushroom!  It is almost the size of a dinner plate and the arrangement on the mushroom plate is so elegant.  It is growing right now in my front yard at an old cut-down tree site.  It makes me wish that I could have had lessons from the one person that I have ever known who said she could tell which mushrooms are poisonous and which ones can be eaten safely.

Perhaps there is a  lesson here?  Perhaps I could google it and learn!  

close

This entry hasn't been re-blogged:

Re-Blogged By Re-Blogged At
Topic:
Just for Fun
Groups:
PARANORMAL STORIES and EXPERIENCES
Diary of a Realtor
Anything Arkansas
Americana
Tags:
mushrooms
searcy ar
barbara s duncan
remax advantage realtors
poisonous vs safe

Post a Comment
Spam prevention
Spam prevention
Show All Comments
Ambassador
1,671,401
Joe Pryor
The Virtual Real Estate Team - Oklahoma City, OK
REALTOR® - Oklahoma Investment Properties

I would take no chances eating it but I would also take a lot of pictures, it's a keeper!

Jul 08, 2017 05:19 AM #1
Rainmaker
3,740,678
Sheila Anderson
Referral Group Incorporated - East Brunswick, NJ
The Real Estate Whisperer Who Listens 732-715-1133

Good morning Barbara. So funny how all sorts of mushrooms grow on dead tree stumps.

Jul 08, 2017 06:44 AM #2
Rainer
251,771
Don Thompson
Donthomp Associates - Sunnyvale, CA

This isn't exactly a mushroom but a mushroom-like fungus. It's often a sign that

a tree is suffering from a fungul disease. They will last a long time and can be removed along with some wood if possible. I have one about half that size I have had for years. It has changed in color but still entact.

Oak root fungus, or white rot, is a widespread disease that becomes visible just beneath the bark and on roots. Small brown mushrooms grow at the site.

Some growths are called conks. There is a varnish conk.

Oak tree heartwood fungus disease causes oyster mushroom, the fungal structures appear within 10 feet of the infection site. The mushrooms are shelf-like and up to 8 inches wide, growing horizontally along the length of the stalk.

That's enough fungus talk.

Jul 08, 2017 08:54 AM #3
Rainmaker
1,088,306
Barbara S. Duncan
RE/MAX Advantage - Searcy, AR
GRI, e-PRO, Executive Broker, Searcy AR

Don, thanks for the funky fungus lesson.  We cut this tree several years ago and it refuses to go away because the mushrooms or fungus comes back all the time.  This is the first one this big so it must be shouting at us!  I do wish that I knew which ones can be eaten safely.  If there is anything our parents taught us it is to NOT eat mushrooms!  

Jul 08, 2017 01:59 PM #4
Rainmaker
1,088,306
Barbara S. Duncan
RE/MAX Advantage - Searcy, AR
GRI, e-PRO, Executive Broker, Searcy AR

Sheila, I hope you read Don's lesson!

Joe, you too!  Read about the funky fungus from Don.

Jul 08, 2017 02:00 PM #5
Post a Comment
Spam prevention
Show All Comments

What's the reason you're reporting this blog entry?

Are you sure you want to report this blog entry as spam?

Rainmaker
1,088,306

Barbara S. Duncan

GRI, e-PRO, Executive Broker, Searcy AR
Ask me a question
*
*
*
*
Spam prevention