In the real estate industry there's a general consensus that any online company who encroaches on "our" real estate data is perceived to be a nasty, backstabbing threat: Zillow, Trulia, Redfin and even our very own Realtor dot com. None of them are truly demonstrating the loyalty that I personally would enjoy, but who cares. And to assume it's "our data" is how WE got here and how Zillow got THERE.
The blame is all ours. But why?
The answer is simple, we agents are just too damn busy. 80% of the agents across the country are selling just a few homes a year and simply aren't invested enough in our industry to give a damn. The other 20% are mining for transactions. Each year I complete 30-40 real estate transactions; about average for a "busy agent." Between life, kids & work do you really think I have time to do more than donate to my local Pac? I can try. I can blog, vent and communicate, but it doesn't even begin to help - not enough.
What about our real estate leadership? Our State and National Presidents, regional VP's and other officers who are elected to help change and shape our industry do not do enough, not because they won't or are not willing to, but because they're unable to. Some of these positions are propped up titles with too little time to get the job done. I don't believe any officer or person who has been empowered to make change can get enough done in 12 months. I am a strong advocate of term limitations in politics, but in r.e. our leadership should have longer terms to get more done. And as it has been explained to me, most of the top leadership positions are completely powerless to make sweeping changes.
So if your top agents (who sell most of the homes) are too busy to help change our industry and our officers are handcuffed to make critical changes then just who are we relying on to "STOP ZILLOW?" Maybe the 80% who sell 6 homes a year?