I wrote this post a few years ago and now appears to be a great time to re-post this very important information in light of the storm in the Gulf. Be safe my friends.
BUSINESS HURRICANE PREPARATIONS ~ A MUST READ!
When those of us here in the Houston area went through Hurricane Ike, we learned a lot about what we should have done and will do if we ever have another big storm headed our way. I thought I would share the things I learned to those of you in the areas that are being predicted to be hit by Irene:
- Take home a hard copy of your client contact information. You may not have access to your computer so having a hard copy will be invaluable when trying to reach your clients after the storm.
- CALL YOUR CLIENTS NOW AND HAVE A PLAN FOR THEM TO REACH YOU AFTER THE STORM.
- Have a battery operated charging station for your phones and computers.
- Verizon worked for me when other folks had no cellular service. Have access to a land line if possible.
- Take your client files home and put in a water-proof, safe place.
- Move all electronic equipment away from windows and put in a high place.
- HAVE AN EMERGENCY CONTACT PLAN OUTLINED NOW FOR YOUR CO-WORKERS.
- Buy plastic trash bags and rubber gloves. You might need these to clean out swollen refrigerators if the power is out for an extended time.
- Back up ALL servers and computers early on! Possibly look into hiring a professional company to make sure your data is safe.
- Designate one person from your office who lives the closest to the office to be the one who gets to the office as early on as possible after the storm to assess damage, etc.
Bottom line folks, you might be without power, phones and computers for awhile. Our businesses were shut down for over two weeks after Ike. Making some preparations now for your business can help you assist your clients and to get your business up and running as soon as possible.
We are praying for you all and hoping this storm takes a huge right turn out into the ocean. Be safe my friends.