I have been blogging now for more than 10 years on ActiveRain, and I can honestly say that it is where I learned how to transition from a traditional real estate marketer to one who dominates on the internet. As I approach a milestone here (1 Million Points on ActiveRain), it makes me remember that it was here that it all started.
When I was first exposed to ActiveRain and blogging, I had no idea that it would completely change the way that I do business. In 2007, I closed less than $25,000 in revenue from my digital marketing channels. Flash forward ten years to 2017 and that number will exceed $2M.
Any form of marketing requires a commitment and a willingness to "stay the course." Blogging is no different.
I started blogging on ActiveRain in mid July 2007. I told an associate I was going to write something every day for 30 days and then decide if it was worthwhile.
After those 30 days, I had received enough feedback from others on ActiveRain that I felt that there might be some merit to a daily real estate blog, though I really wasn't sure what it would be. So I went ahead and committed to another 30 days of writing.
Since that time I also started blogs at www.manausa.com and other websites, and I can tell you that in 10+ years, I have NEVER missed posting an article on a weekday on my blog. Even with holidays, Christmas, Easter, etc., if it was a Monday through Friday, I posted an article. That was (and is) my commitment.
To this day, where my business is growing rapidly (up 90% this year over last), I still take the time to post a new article every morning.
My commitment is to arise early and write something from 400 to 2000 words every morning.
What I Have Learned From My Daily Blog
The most critical aspects of being an effective digital marketer is to understand WHY you are doing it and HOW you plan on accomplishing your goals.
When I started on ActiveRain, I neither understood my WHY or the HOW, and that is why this community is so important to the real estate brokerage industry.
You can just start writing, the WHY and the HOW will come to you once you are exposed to your peers from around the US.
- WHY I Blog - This is simple. My different blogs serve to answer the questions that real estate consumers in Tallahassee need to know. Through this effort, I will gain an opportunity to demonstrate my knowledge and professionalism to prospective buyers and sellers, and those that are most interested in working with a professional will likely want to do business with me. This is the type of customer with whom I have the greatest success, as the interactions begin with a level of trust that is hard to replicate by mere advertising or personal referral.
- HOW I Accomplish My Goals - My goals are accomplished by writing down my objectives and analyzing the data that only digital marketing can provide. Understanding keywords, bounce rates, page views, time on site, and many more metrics allows me to create a virtual sales funnel with my daily blog, and the process of driving targeted traffic to the blog is built upon an understanding of the ROI behind every lead source. Ultimately, after many years of blogging, my virtual real estate presence is a business that is scalable and has great longevity.
My Favorite Blog Posts
One of the great things about blogging on ActiveRain is the ability to review your "stats" and sort posts by different categories. I have been fortunate enough to have 171 Featured Posts, and they have attracted a lot of attention.
Here are a few of my favorite posts on ActiveRain.
- Most Views: From June of 2008, "How Are Home Values Determined?" 87,000 views
- Most Comments: From October of 2008 ,"Best Counter-Offer Ever!!!!", 131 comments
- Most Likes: From May 2016, "How A Home Seller Pocketed Extra Cash Because Of Facebook", 33 likes
- Most Short URL Clicks: From November 2013, "Don't Allow Market Generalizations To Guide You When Selling Your Home", 658 clicks
Thanks A Million ActiveRain
I just wanted to take this time to thank the ownership of ActiveRain as well as the membership here too for all the support, advice, comments, likes, etc. over the years. This is a truly unique forum for real estate agents and real estate brokers and all agents wishing to grow their business should use this site as a great starting point for digital marketing education and support.