Lafayette La Real Estate Advice- Do I Need A Home Inspection?
Lafayette La home buyers will often try to save money by skipping the professional home inspection. Based on a decade's experience, this thought process is flawed. Let's take a minute to see why home inspections are a must.
Why Lafayette Home Buyers Need A Professional Home Inspection
- To discover hidden defects--In Louisiana most home sellers are required to complete disclosure forms. Just because they check 'no defects" for the roof don't mean it won't leak. Sellers are not required to hire a professional to inspect each items. The information is just to the best of their knowledge.
- To justify the price- Lafayette La home buyers bid with the understanding that the home systems are in proper working order (unless otherwise disclosed by the seller). That "great deal" my lose its luster in the face of mounting repair costs. Better to find out BEFORE the inspection period ends!
- To develop a long term maintenance/repair plan for the home-- Generally home systems will "warn you" as they end their service life. A professional home inspection can help you prioritize updates.
Tips For The Home Inspection
- Attend the home inspection-- Attendance for the entire inspection is usually not necessary. The inspector will walk the buyer through the home and discuss any findings near the end.
- Have realistic expectations concerning the condition-- The market, more so than the condition of the home, will determine what sort of repairs the seller will perform.
- Home inspections are not family reunions-- Try to minimize distractions for the home inspector. This is not a good time to have extended family come take a peek. Also, consider hiring a baby sitter for the inspection. needless to say children running through the home can compete with the inspector's attention.
- Prioritize your concerns Try to focus on big "make or break" items. Handing a home owner the entire report with a sticky note that says "fix me" will likely end in frustration. Pay special attention to items that may pop up on an appraisal.
Want an agent who will advocate for you every step of the way? Contact Doug Rogers (318) 613-1994 or reach out to Lafayette La Real Estate today!
A Few Examples Off When A Home Inspection Saved A Seller Thousands