Break Out Before You Burn Out-- How to Step Away From Real Estate
In this business two weeks can pass in a blur. List a home on Saturday, perhaps an open house on Sunday and before you know it 10-14 days pass without time off. While we all admire a hard worker, such a grind will, well grind, even the best agent. Let's take a look at why working non-stop can actually COST you money.
The Case Against Working Non-stop
- Over working can hurt your decision making-- Want to think clear? Step away and get a good 8 hours of rest. Want to make poor choices? Grind out 12 hour days for 7 or more days in a row.
- Long work hours can mean poor meal selections-- Ever come home and cook a healthy meal after a ten hour day? Me either. Want to REALLY mess things up? Skip sleep AND live on fast food. Got some free time? Watch Super-size Me on Netflix.
- Tired people are less efficient-- What happens in day 10 of marathon work stretch? Not much. Well rested people are able to get more done in less time.
How To Take Control Of Your Work
- Have a set start time and end time each work day-- My advice is to start early and then go home 9-11 hours later. Set your voice-mail and let callers know inquires after say 7pm will be returned the next business day. Honestly, there is little an agent can do to solve problems when the rest of the business world is closed. I fought this, mainly due to my ego. Guess what, the good clients (the ones that end with checks) will respect you.
- Claim your days off in advance-- Mark your calendar for vacations and special events at the beginning of the year. Get with another agent (or your broker) to find coverage.
- When your are off be off-- Once I took my family to the beach. They went down and played in the surf will dad to calls in the condo. Don't be me...
- Eat right and lay off the caffeine-- Get a healthy breakfast (super-important) and hit the road. Throughout the day replace soft drinks with water. Remember the opposite side of a caffeine buzz is lethargy and a nasty headache. Think before you drink!
Would you buy a phone with a worn out battery? Then why would anyone hire a worn out agent. Need a broker who will help you develop (and stick to) a schedule? Contact Doug Rogers (318) 613-1994 for a confidential meeting. Want to explore our company from your sofa? Go to Realty Executives Bayou Properties today!