Real estate professionals are pressured to make themselves available to clients virtually around the clock. Business hours can include nights, weekends and holidays. Days off are few and far between! But overworking yourself causes a number of consequences, according to studies reported by Scientific American.
Without adequate rest, our brains lose cognitive power. This results in memory loss and reduced reasoning ability. In turn, we become easily confused and error-prone. Eventually, our ability to complete simple tasks becomes compromised. We lose productivity, and worse, our health.
If you don’t allow yourself enough sleep, and seldom take personal time off, you could be on the verge of professional burnout. Running yourself into the ground can also jeopardize your personal relationships, your business operations and your safety.
The 24x7 world of the Information Age has made overwork a way of life! Emails will never stop. There will always be voice mails and text messages. It’s up to you to set boundaries and carve out time for yourself. Doing so is critical for your well-being.
Here are some tips to help you create better work-life balance:
- Set business hours that allow downtime on a regular basis. Plan at least one or two vacations a year, and immerse yourself in something you enjoy.
- State your business hours on your email signature, voice mail, website, and so on. If you set proper expectations up front, you’ll feel less pressured to give up your free time.
- When your business day is done, use an auto-responder to acknowledge email messages. State a timeframe for response in your auto-responder message and voice mail.
- Prioritize your tasks in each business day. Respect your own time, and don’t allow it to be hijacked by unnecessary interruptions.
- Delegate! No one can do everything by themselves! Whether you have an in-house assistant or an online marketing team, delegate the jobs that others can handle for you. Concentrate on income-producing activities and your clients!
Next, decide where to improve your personal life. Odds are, you could use more sleep, or better nutrition, or more time with someone special.
Don’t expect to “fix” your work-life balance overnight. Pick a place to begin, and commit to a personal priority. Empower yourself to make positive changes!
Need help with listing marketing, social media, email campaigns, brochures, postcards, blogs, or online reputation management? RealSupport has custom-tailored solutions for your needs and budget! We help with single projects and ongoing tasks alike. Contact us today for your personal consultation!
Copywriting & Marketing Specialist