This is a very important day for both the buyers and sellers. This is the day that the transfer of ownership happens.
IF YOU ARE THE SELLER:
1. Make sure that your lawyer has copies of all the documentation that you received from your lawyer when you purchased the property i.e. survey, deed and also provide your lawyer with the current property tax bills.
2. Do not cancel your house insurance policy until you have heard that the deal has closed. Also, if you are moving out more than 30 days before closing, you need to notify your insurer that the home will be vacant.
3. A few days before the closing date, you will meet with your lawyer to sign the final documentation. Bring with you a full set of keys to give to the lawyer who in turn will give the set to the news owners. On the counter in the kitchen leave a list of information of the home owners i.e. when is garbage day, where is the mail box located and key for the box, any important information of the neighbourhood or any quirks about the house that you would like to share.
4. Notify all the utility services of the moving date and have the meters read on the closing date. If the house is heated with oil, ensure that the talk is filled on the closing date and bring a copy of the receipt to the lawyer.
5. Do your address change with the post office and notify your bank of your new address.
7. The actual closing – transfer of funds and keys – anytime between 10:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. Please make sure you are out of the house before 6:00 p.m. and that you leave the premises empty and clean.
IF YOU ARE THE BUYER
1. A few days before taking possession of the property, make arrangements to visit your new home to do a walk-thru to ensure that the home is in the same state as when you made your offer.
2. Contact a mover and make arrangements for a late afternoon or next day moving time. You will be receiving the keys possibly before 6:00 p.m. If you are moving into a condominium, you might need to reserve the elevator – so contact the property management company to make the arrangements.
3. Fire insurance must be arranged for the full replacement cost of the home. If it is a condominium, you need a policy to protect your contents and liability. Do not leave this to the last minute.
4. Confirm with your lender that the funds will be available to your lawyer for the transfer of ownership. Don’t wait to find out at the last minute that there’s a glitch and the lender can’t advance the monies because a piece of paper is missing.
5. A few days before the closing date, your lawyer will be receiving a statement of adjustments that will reflect some adjustments to the final payout figure this could include property taxes, etc. If these have been prepaid by the seller, you will need additional funds on closing. Speak with your lawyer to get the final number as early as possible so that are no surprises. For closing costs including lawyer fees, land transfer tax, etc. I always suggest that 1.8% be added to your purchase price.
6. A few days before the actual closing date, your lawyer will ask you to bring a certified cheque or bank draft to close the transaction. This amount will be your purchase price less the deposit, less the mortgage plus closing costs.
7. Please ask your lawyer to explain to you the difference between taking title as joint tenants or as tenants in common. The transfer deed needs to reflect how you are taking title.
8. Discuss with your lawyer the importance of title insurance when purchasing a home. Title Insurance will protect your property against title defects, survey issues, work orders and frauds while you own the property.
9. Make arrangements for your cable and telephone providers to install service on the day of closing or immediately after closing.
10. Contact the utility companies, to make sure they read the meters on closing, so that you are only responsible for charges after you move in.
BEING PREPARED HELPS RELIEVE SOME OF THE STRESS FROM MOVING.
As a home buyer or a home seller, I make sure you are prepared for moving day. Call me (Irene) at 613-858-1151 where real estate is all about YOU!!