What is a Hobby Farm?
By definition, a hobby farm is a small farm that you build for pleasure or supplemental income. I would add to this definition and say that a Hobby Farm is much more! It’s a complete change of lifestyle for most people. It can also be a huge learning curve!
- A Hobby Farm can give your children a great learning experience. It will teach them the responsibility of caring for animals. And they will learn how to grow their own food…without the use of chemical pesticides or fertilizers. Going organic is a much healthier lifestyle!
- A Hobby Farm will help you be more prepared in case of a local or national emergency. Not only will you have the possibility of growing your own food – but you will also develop a lot of skills to enable you to make do with what you have on hand!
- A Hobby Farm can help you save a lot of money by growing your own meat, vegetables, fruit and berries!
But, don’t bite off more than you can chew! It’s a totally different lifestyle and a lot of work, so ask yourself and your family a lot of questions before you start. Why do you want a Hobby Farm? What advantages do you expect to receive from this adventure? Do you expect to produce supplemental income? Do you want to be more self sufficient? What skills do you have to make it successful? If you have a primary job, will the new location require a lot of travel with a longer drive to work? Do you have the extra money available for setting up your Hobby Farm?
Hobby Farm Ideas
A Hobby Farm can be whatever you want it to be. Consider these ideas and come up with some of your own to decide how to reach your goals:
- Raise Chickens – Sell the birds and/or eggs.
- Raise Rabbits – Sell them to pet stores or online. Rabbit meat is low in fat and higher in protein than chicken. Sell to restaurants?
- Grow Vegetables – Sell them at Farmer’s Markets or roadside stands. Or – they can be preserved and kept for your own use during the winter months.
- Grow Fruit – Apples, Peaches and Berries usually take a few years to get started, but a great way to make your hobby farm pay for itself. Strawberry plants or berries can easily be sold…or preserved.
- Start a Jam & Jelly Business – Sell to specialty shops, online or to restaurants. Read more...