The fire department responded to a call in my neighborhood today. Grateful for our first responders, it also reminds me that I'm grateful I haven't had to experience that.
The closest we ever came (and I ever want to be to that) was when my brother left a candle burning in the jack-o-lantern on the front porch one Halloween and the cornstalks fell over onto the pumpkin. Luckily, Mom spotted it just as it caught fire and the only damage was some soot on the front porch and my brother's dignity... not from having left the candle burning but from having run downstairs, naked, from the bathtub once Mom yelled, "FIRE!"
Though I do not know the cause of the fire in my neighborhood today, house fires are a somber reminder to clean your dryer vents regularly (I know I haven't cleaned mine in a bit), which you can do by means of detaching the vent from the back of the dryer and using a brush on it or your leaf blower. You can also replace the vent hose if you've got the relatively inexpensive types. New vent hoses are about $5.99, vent cleaning kits are about $15.
And that's a great thing to teach your kids to do, too. Build some awareness in them of how to maintain your home.