Now is the time to file your Texas Homestead form if you closed on your home prior to January 1st. I like to remind people in the latter part of January because hopefully you’re done with your Holiday bills and you’re starting to get your tax information ready.
If you own a residence in Texas, you may be able to receive a homestead tax exemption. According to the Texas comptroller’s website, a homestead can be a separate structure, condominium or a manufactured home located on owned or leased land. Homestead tax exemptions exempt part of your home’s value from taxation. To receive this exemption, you must meet certain criteria and complete required paperwork. You will also need to provide proof of residence. Make sure to update your drivers' license to your current address before mailing.
How Do You File for Homestead Exemption in Texas? Applying for a general $25,000 homestead tax exemption is easy.
- Go to the applicable site below (the county in which your home is located), click on Search Appraisals or Property Data Search.
- Input your address or your name to find your property
- Click on your property address
- Click on the link to file your exemption online or to print and mail
Local Dallas and Fort Worth appraisal districts
- Dallas- www.dcad.org
- Tarrant- www.tad.org
- Collin- www.collincad.org
- Denton- www.dentoncad.com
- Kaufman- www.kaufman-cad.org
- Complete the application, answering all of the questions. Complete online or mail in your application or bring it to your local appraisal district office. The chief appraiser in your district will process your application and will notify you when your homestead tax exemption has been processed.
You have until the end of April to actually file, but why wait until the last minute. Also, if you purchased your home this year, you CANNOT file until January 1st next year. You must wait until next year to file your exemptions. It’s good to do it as soon as possible so when you get your new Tax Assessment that first week of May, all your information will be correct.
There are many companies that will charge you a pretty penny to file the exemption for you. DO NOT PAY ANYONE TO FILE ANYTHING!! IT’S FREE!!
Richard Woodward, NMLS 217454
Your Local, Direct, 5 Star Rated Mortgage Lender, Specialty Lending Manager
Office: (214) 945-1066
Service First Mortgage NMLS 166487
6800 Weiskopf Ave #200, McKinney, TX 75070
Licensed by the Texas Department of Savings and Mortgage Lending (SML) Mortgage Banker Registration. Service First Mortgage is an Equal Housing Lender. This is not an offer of credit or commitment to lend. Loans are subject to buyer and property qualification. Rates and fees are subject to change without notice. The views expressed on this site are those of the individual author and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies or opinions of Service First Mortgage or its affiliates.