You know that old saying about a bird in the hand or two in the bush? We had a rather hot listing recently and it got a lot of showings in a very short time. One agent called and said "I'm typing an offer and I'll get it to you soon". We got two other offers in hand before the end of the day. The seller decided it was in their best interest to counter on one of the offers. Their terms were countered back and our seller accepted and signed.
Three days later the agent who called sent me an offer. As required by law I presented the offer to my seller who said "huh?" at which time I re- explained I have to present "all offers" that are written and signed. I also had to explain that they were already in a legal and binding agreement to which they are obligated.
I emailed the agent that we were already pending and if anything happened with the current contract during the due diligence period I would notify them to see if their buyer was still interested. A LOT of swear words followed in the phone call I received. Why in the blanketie blank blank bland did I not wait for their offer?
In my 26 years in this business I believe it would surpass 200 times an agent told me they were typing/sending/writing an offer and then crickets. It is not my method of business to not even tell sellers when an agent tells me that. I used to tell them. But after a certain number of times (10 to 15) I realized that I was the one who looked bad to my sellers when that offer never showed. So I stopped. When I list a house I fully explain to my sellers that I won't be calling them about verbal or fictitious or maybe coming offers.
After I calmly listened to the agent who took three days to send offer they called to tell me they were sending on a property that I told them had 15 showings and much verbal expressed interest the same thing. I don't do "it's coming" in real estate when it comes to offers. Trust me, I learned the hard way it's NOT the way to do business. Agents have to educate buyers that when inventory is slim and activity is high on a listing that "thinking it over" for a few days sometimes means you don't even have an opportunity to get the house.