Getting the Property Ready for My Horses to Come Home
Now that we had found our horse property in Eastern Pennsylvania, the real work was about to begin. It was time to prepare the acreage so that I would be able to bring my horse home. Local zoning stated that in order for the property to be grandfathered in for horses, I had six months to get my horses onto the property. This did not give us much time considering how much had to be done. The previous owner's horses were removed from the property just before settlement. Time was ticking away and the work had to start quickly.
The first thing we tackled was replacing fencing around the pastures and taking out the existing fencing, since that was pretty much falling down. We opted for electric fencing, since that could be installed rather quickly (we were doing the work ourselves) and was the least expensive type of fence we could install. If we only knew . . . . .
We began to work in the area where the paddock would be. (The paddock is what we call the "sacrifice area". This is the area that the horses would be housed in when they are not turned out into the pasture. Because there is a lot of consistent traffic in this area, grass will not grow here. Hence "sacrifice area".)
Things started out quite well. It was going a lot quicker and easier than we thought, until . . . . . . we hit a spot where the fence post did not go into the ground. No matter what we tried, even moving it several inches here and there, it could not be budged into the ground. Now, Pennsylvania consists of various different types of terrain. It can be swampy. It can be hilly. It can be mountainous. It can be rocky. You name it and Pennsylvania probably has it somewhere. Well, we found the rocky part of it. We couldn't even break the rock. We finally found a spot several feet from where it was originally supposed to go. It didn't go in easily, but with some effort, it did go into the ground. Whew!! It only took a few hours to get one post in.
Halfway around the pastures, we encountered another issue putting in the fence posts. You see, the one area in the middle of the pasture were underground springs, which turned into a stream along the way. As you may have guessed, this area was swampy. No problem getting a fence post in here. The only problem was it sank in. Not a good thing. Once again, we had to find a good spot to put in the fence post so it would stay up on its own. Another hour before the perfect spot was found.
This went on for 3-4 days. We either hit rocky areas, where it was a challenge to find a spot the post would go into the ground, or a swampy area, where the post just refused to stand upright.
After the fence was installed, we had another challenge to conquer. I won't tell you what that was. You'll have to wait for the next part to find out.