Sustainability in Connecticut Produces Statewide Success and Savings.
Feb 9th, 2018.
The all-day sold-out event had multiple presentations showing how government, businesses, municipalities and homeowner have saved huge amounts of money through sustainable projects, technologies and programs throughout Connecticut.
The morning session was made up of keynote speakers and panel discussions that covered a wide range of sustainability topics from global and national programs to local town initiatives and business involvement which included: -
- Global Perspective on Sustainability from David Downie, PhD, Assoc. Professor Fairfield University and Professor Jeffery Sacks Director of the Center for Sustainable Development Columbia University.
- What are the 17 Sustainable Development Goals and How are They Measured in Our Region? Presented by Jessica Scott, Sustainable Development GOALS Academy (SDG Academy) and Jessica Espey, Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN).
- Panel Discussion - Building Sustainability into Our Municipalities with First Selectman from Ridgefield, Westport, New Canaan and Fairfield.
- Panel Discussion - What is the Condition of Connecticut’s Sustainable Infrastructure? With local CEO’s.
- Panel Discussion - The Critical Role Business Plays in Sustainable Development with local business owners discussing their experience.
The afternoon sessions were divided into various workshop that included: -
- Statewide, Regional and Local Networks
- Community Projects That Can Scale Regionally
- Latest Trends and Technology in Sustainability
- Community Ecology Projects
- Renewable Energy
- Lifestyle and Community Action
To see the complete program and speakers of the 2018 RCSD go to: -
Some of the key point take a-ways made from the RCSD in Connecticut are: -
Mayors and First Selectmen can take a leading role in Sustainability programs in their towns and municipalities.
Landlords and business owners can have huge savings by implementing energy saving solutions and indoor automation controls, for further information contact Stillman Jordan at Encon and Mark Robbins at MHR Development.
Connecticut School Districts can save huge on propane fueled school buses that also require less maintenance than diesel fuel buses, for further information contact David Gable CEO Hocon Gas and Lee Grannis at the Greater New Haven Clean Cities Coalition.
Outdoor irrigation in lower Fairfield County can account for up to 50% of clean water consumption. Aquarion Water implemented outdoor water consumption to 2 days per week Lower Fairfield County and saved a billion gallons of water last year.
Tunxis Community College offers Connecticut’s first Applied Associate of Science Degree in Energy Management.
Local businesses can make a difference in our community and state: -
JunkLuggers provides a pick-up service that re-uses and recycles unwanted items.
About 25% of landfills contain organic materials, Connecticut Quantum Biopower recycles organic waste into energy and the left-over product is used as compost.
MowGreen offers non-gas lawn and yard service along with organic treatments.
For more information on Home Trends in Fairfield County, Connecticut contact DMK Real Estate.
DMK providing step by step real estate assistance for buyers, sellers, builders, landlords and tenants.
Sellers ~ let DMK walk you through the process of selling your home. As a Sellers Representative Specialist (SRS) DMK has gone the extra step with additional training from the National Association of Realtors® (NAR). As a Realtor® it is important to understand both sides of the transaction to provide the best service and advice to our clients.
Buyers ~ DMK will assist buyers step by step in the process of buying a home. Currently an applicant for the Accredited Buyers Representative (ABR) designation by the National Association of Realtors (NAR) that involves additional education and training to Realtors® who specialize in working with buyers
Builders ~ with over twenty-five years hands on experience and knowledge in residential construction, home improvements and remodeling we can effectively assist builders sell their project in a timely and profitable manner. DMK specializes in energy efficient and green homes and is a designated GREEN Realtor by NAR and an accredited LEED AP Homes by USGBC.
Landlords & Tenants ~ with over twenty years of experience in investment properties and property management DMK understand how important a good relationship is along with finding the right fit makes all the difference. Investors looking for a rental property contact DMK Real Estate for experience, knowledge and property management advice.