Selling a home can be frustrating. Home prices still aren't where they were in '05 & '06, though we're making some big steps. However, even in a challenging market, there are ways to increase your chances of getting YOUR HOME SOLD. Below is my list to help do just that and in the shortest amount of time.
Keep in mind that there are conditions that we/you, cannot control: Location, Competition and Market Conditions. That said, on to my list:
- LISTING with the RIGHT REALTOR. Of course, I FEEL I am the "right" Realtor. But if you're still unsure, interview several. I am perfectly okay with that and, in fact, encourage it. Ask what he/she will do to help get your home sold. At our interview, I will explain the "process of selling," the "Agency Relationship" and the Listing Agreement" along with the following:
- PREPARE YOUR HOME: Okay, you've chosen your Realtor (ME) and now you MUST get your home "BUYER READY". You've got to step out of your seller shoes and slip into your buyer shoes. I'll make SUGGESTIONS about things in and around your home that need addressing. OR, dressed up. It may be as easy as some fresh paint, DE-CLUTTERING or using some elbow grease to get your home "sparking" clean. Perhaps your home needs some serious fixing; roof, plumbing, updated appliances, etc. Perhaps getting a professional STAGER (ask me for a list of experts). When buyers walk into your home, we only want to hear, "Oh, I like this. I could live here!"
- YOUR HOME GOES ONTO THE MULTIPLE LISTING SERVICE(MLS): After you've signed the listing agreement, I have professional photos taken and then INPUT the information into the MLS. This is IMPORTANT. Instantly, all Realtors/Brokers/Members of our MLS Board will view your home online and, if they have interested buyers, they will contact them.
- INTERNET EXPOSURE: As soon as I've input your home into the MLS, I then list it on MANY different Internet Sites: MOUNTAIN COUNTRY REALTY'S FEATURED PAGE, ZILLOW, TRULIA, REALBIRD, POSTLETS and many more. Google alone will expose your home to more than 400 million monthly users.
- MARKETING: I will advertise your property in a local real estate magazine that have been proven to work in your area.
- BROKER/AGENT TOUR; In your area, we have weekly AGENT TOURS. Realtors/Brokers go preview new listings and even preview some "repeats." This gives Realtors a chance to see, first hand, a home in which they may have interested buyers.
- OPEN HOUSES: Having an Open House may expose your property to dozens of people. And since we live in a "Resort" area, we get a lot of weekend traffic. Open Houses have been/can be successful. Depending on how you feel about them, I will HOLD one periodically until YOUR home is SOLD.
- PREPARING INTERESTED BUYERS: I will "Pre-qual" potential buyers" before showing them your home. This eliminates unwanted stress on you and the buyer who may fall in love with your home and find out they cannot afford to purchase it.
- WHEN WE GET AN OFFER: We will sit down and discuss the offer and, once agreed upon, we move forward and go into escrow. I will explain the entire process and keep you posted on every step of the escrow. But, first things first. Let's get your home prepared and listed.
Things you can do to HELP get your HOME SOLD:
- KEEP YOUR HOME CLEAN & PREPARED: Before leaving for work, or anywhere else, make beds, put dishes in the dishwasher, etc. ASSUME a potential buyer will be seeing your home today!
- MAKE HOME ACCESSIBLE: We want Realtors to be able to get into your home to show it to potential buyers, so we need a lock-box on the property. Our lock-boxes are all digital and record who is/has previewed or shown the home.
- SHOWINGS: When a Realtor calls to schedule an appointment to show, if possible, turn on all lights, turn on soft music, keeps pets in separate area. Put ALL valuables AWAY. Open drapes, shades and curtains. Open doors and windows (weather permitting).
- BE GONE: Try and be gone/away. It's been a known fact that buyers will stick around longer (we WANT that), if the sellers are not home. IF you're unable to be gone, try and stay in a designated area. PLEASE do NOT follow the buyer around. Let the buyer's Realtor do that.
Okay, now, let's get YOUR HOME "Listed" & SOLD!