How do you make it through the Winter?
Real Estate seems to be an up and down profession. When I started out in Real Estate School in 2009, I was told that business died in the Winter months in this part of the country, with sub zero temperatures, snow and ice. So, how do I get through those months from December to April?
After becoming a Real Estate Agent, I found that it is not as bad as I was told. Here is why!
During the other three seasons, there are lots of "LOOKERS", meaning men, women and entire families who have discovered:
1. A popular past-time of touring homes for sale, to get ideas for upgrades for their own homes.
2, People like to dream. Even though they can't afford it, they make the rounds of open houses for their relaxing entertainment, which takes them away from their predictable work weeks.
3. A nice "Sunday Drive" after church and lunch can be another reason to look at homes for sale.
Why Waste My Time!
Its easy to jump in the car to show a home that is for sale when the weather is nice, but during cold wintry weather, why not wait until nicer weather?
Not So Fast!
Winter is one of the most profitable times of the year, if you plan ahead.
Be Aware! Be Awake!
1. First of all, only the serious Buyers will come out in the bad Winter weather in search of a home. There is less competition among buyers and they know it.
2. Winter can keep you busy preparing for Spring, because it is best for home owners to list their homes in February, so it can close in early Spring. It may take a month or two preparing the home for sale, so it is best to start talking to potential sellers early, instead of waiting until Spring to put the home on the market.
3. Fall in this area is busy, because many people want to get into their new home before the Holidays. Some of them, unfortunately don't close until after the first of the year. January is a good time to start farming your areas instead of sitting back, waiting for Spring to arrive.
4. Those previous contacts that wanted to wait to list their homes in the Spring, must start preparing in February and March with updating and painting in order to get the best possible offer.
Be One Step Ahead of Your Competition!
So when you hear agents talk about being slow in the Winter months, just ignore it, as you will get a head start on your sales for the new year. Have a Great Year!
If you want to Buy or Sell your home during the "Slow Season", call Friends & Neighbors Real Estate and you may just find that it is not slow at all!