HOME POST 50
My friend has been feeling the challenges of aging. “Sometimes,” she confided, “I feel like a chicken walking around in circles left out in the world-at large.” Of course, her analogy tickled me with its bit of sardonic humor .
WISE CHOICES AS WE AGE
It’s important to make wise choices as we age. At the Sage Companion Project ( www.WhiteHair365.com ) we place special emphasis on an over-arching concept of the value of each person - regardless of age or physical ability. One topic we discus is “aging-in –place.” This is a phrase used to describe “The ability to live in one’s own home and community safely, independently, and comfortably, regardless of age, income, or ability level.” It refers to a CHOICE by Post 50 People to feel comfortable in an independent living situation.
But where and how do we begin to make that happen? A good place to begin making that choice is with talking about relevant options and an actual action plan. Here are some basic questions to start that conversation.
10 QUESTIONS TO START THE CONVERSATION
1. What design elements are important to incorporate in a comfortable home?
2. How might we leverage our influence to get more age-friendly products in our homes ?
3. What are three (3) challenges we might expect to encounter along the way?
4. How might we connect with a support system to correct outmoded stereotypes of aging?
5. What kind of a spending plan could be put into place to create a comfortable home?
6. How can we make our spaces more comfortable for all who live there and visit?
7. Where can we start to make “age-wise” improvements around our living quarters?
8. What would we say makes a dwelling place turn into a PALACE?
(Have a brain-storming session with stakeholders.)
9. What are a few home automation technologies that are intriguing?
10. Which works best: (a) Go along- wait to see what happens as the years go by- or (b) Go purposefully- and by design?
START PLANNING YOUR FINE FEATHERED NEST- a home not only functional but beautiful for the long term. Whether you rent or own your dwelling place - whether you plan to “downsize” and move to a new home, or whether you desire to stay in a your lifelong home, a good place to begin is by asking, finding answers to, and talking about making that dream of “Aging-in- P a L a C E “ come true....and do check out the eBooklet below. It may be helpful!