Shawn & Angela Miller, REALTORS®
Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Ambassador Real Estate - Lincoln and Omaha Nebraska
Serving Lincoln, Omaha, and surrounding communities
If home improvements are in your forecast this year, Consumer Reports suggests eight surefire ways to increase your own comfort while boosting the value of your home by as much as 35 percent should you decide to sell.
- The kitchen is king – An updated kitchen is high on the list of most home shoppers today. Think stainless steel sinks and appliances, and note that quartz countertops are challenging granite and marble because of its improved heat and scratch resistance. A new kitchen should up your home value by three to seven percent.
- Flexible floor plan – Flexibility is worth more than size to many of today’s younger buyers. Double-duty rooms, such as a guest bedroom/playroom, an exercise/study area, or an ‘accessory dwelling unit’ (ADU) that can provide a ‘granny flat’ or be rented out for extra income.
- Energy friendly – According to a recent study by the National Association of Home Builders, ‘energy-efficiency’ ranked second only to ‘safe community’ on the list of prospective purchasers. High-efficiency windows, lighting, and water heaters can be excellent value boosters.
- Aging in place – As the population ages – and seniors are expected to make up more than 20 percent of us in the next 20 years – think about walk-in showers, comfort-height toilets, grab bars, and ground-floor master bedrooms.
- Smart technology – Among the most-wanted features are fully wired audio-visual systems, programmable thermostats, and smartphone controllability of lights, door locks, and security systems, all of which should increase your home value.
- Paint is potent – It’s a relatively inexpensive upgrade, but nothing does more to add freshness to your home than a new coat of paint – indoors or out. Choose high quality paints and neutral colors to increase the value of your investment.
- Stress-free maintenance – Updated heating systems, plumbing and electricity, along with a newer roof will increase your own peace of mind and add value for buyers.
- A great outdoor space – Curb appeal and a water-smart yard are key in today’s environment. Simple landscaping, great decks or patios with built-in grills or fire pits are smart investments.
I hope you found these tips helpful. Contact us today with your real estate questions!