I tend to multi-task and it is not necessarily a good thing to do. Read on.
Are you laser focused or are you a multi-tasker? Being a multi-tasker in running your business may create problems. However, if you stay focused and stay sharp on the things necessary to grow and change you will achieve the best results.
Sometimes we get lazy and in a rut. We stop seeing the big picture. Maybe our business has had years of successful sales and profits. Since the business is still making money and continuing to operate the reasoning is, if it’s not broke don’t fix it. Eventually, the business could reach a stage on leveling off or declining sales or profits. Maybe there are changes in the industry or in the economy. To remain successful, the business owner must refocus. Here are five essentials for refocusing.
1. Make sure you know what business you are in. If you make cell phones do you provide smart phones, or do you create facilitated mobile communication? If you run a civil engineering company do you create road designs, or do you help municipalities solve their transportation problems? If you are in real estate do you sell houses, or do you assist peoples manage their living solutions?
2. Don’t react to change; create it. The best way to this it to investigate the future, understand the trends and how they affect your business and move yourself into them. For example, considering technology changes and the emerging Millennials should you utilize more virtual and technology-based presentations including videos.
3. Assess your business. Take inventory of where you have strengths in the market as well as where you are weak and vulnerable. With that information identify your opportunities to exploit as well as emerging changes that could be threats to your business. If you have done good business in an area where you know you are weak and you see new external threats on the horizon you may want to move away from that offering. On the other hand, look at new opportunities where you can exploit your strengths.
4. How do you communicate and market? The method and costs of marketing and communication have already changed drastically. Today, who looks to find something in the Yellow Pages? You need to embrace the new media. However, I caution you to evaluate and create a strategy first. Don’t simply follow the latest shiny new media application.
5. Understand generational differences. Different generations have different needs, communicate differently, and engage with your business differently. If you are doing well serving one generation, learn why. Are the things that engage that generation of no value to the next generation? Failure to understand that dynamic will result in increasingly lost revenue.
How did you make out with your checkup? Do you have work to do? If you have not done a strategic plan or updated yours in the last 3 years now might be a good time to do it. It will help you focus on the future. For a similar post on our website see MAKE YOUR STRATEGIC PLAN THEN FOCUS.
or call 914-953-4458.
Business Coach - Strategic Plans - Sales and Marketing Coach
President Performance Development Strategies
914-953-4458, Armonk NY 10504 email@example.com
Visit my website www.pdstrategies.com for information on how you can obtain quantum leaps in your business performance.
Helping businesses go from "good to great"