When you decide it is time to sell your home, there are a few things you should consider doing. Below is a list of some housekeeping items you may wish to do prior to listing or showing your property. Your Realtor can give you other suggestions based off of your specific property and needs:
1) Remove all clutter from the house, are the counter tops free and clear? Have you removed unnecessary furniture throughout the house?
2) Check the bathrooms, are the surfaces clean and clear, are the shower curtains clean, if you have a slider is it opening smoothly? If you have tile is the grout clean and shinny?
3) Check the floors, are your carpets clean and free from stains, are the hard surfaces clean and free from stains or chips?
4) Do you have pets, and if you do are there signs that this is a pet house? If so be sure to keep the Kitty box clean at all times, remove pet toys from the main areas of the home, and make sure that your pets bedding is clean.
5) How is the aroma in your home, try to air out the house prior to showings. This is important especially if you are a smoker or you cook with foods that create strong odors. If an air freshener is needed, use it well before showings as a consideration to those with allergies etc..
6) Set the mood prior to showings, open draperies and blinds to let as much natural light into the home as possible. Turn on all lights (even during the day) so that your property shows its best.
If you do some of the things listed above, your property will be more appealing to a potential Buyer. When marketing your home you want to make sure your homes first impression is as good as it can be.