Boy isn't this the truth? We all need to remember and implement these things everyday...when are you going to start?
Here are seven specific things you can do at any time (including right now) to amp up your energy and attitude - without caffeine or calories!
Amp Your Attitude!
- Take action first. Dale Carnegie taught, "Act enthusiastic, and we'll be enthusiastic." He was right. Actions impact thoughts. Don't believe me? Ever gotten up and drug yourself around the house trying to get your day started? How much energy do you feel on those mornings? Compare that to the mornings when you hop out of bed because you are late. In which case do you have more energy in the moment?
- Assume you can. How many new ideas (or even old ideas) are immediately met with "that won't work," or "we can't do that"? Maybe you can't, and maybe it won't. But what if you started with the assumption that you could do it and that it would work? I'm not saying every idea is great or that you can do everything. But it does mean that ideas can be investigated from a perspective of can-do and hope. This approach will definitely create a better attitude - and better results.
- Have some fun. Take time out of your day and have some fun! I'm not suggesting forgetting or neglecting your work - but approaching your day with the spice of fun. What happens to your attitude when you are laughing? (My point exactly.)
- Look for the good. Look for the good in the day, in the situation, in other people. Look for the good in ideas, challenges and problems. Just look for the good - all around you. Once you choose to look for it - you will find it (just like you will find the bad if you look for it). And, your attitude will improve, guaranteed.
- Take off your black hat. In many situations I hear, "but someone needs to be the devil's advocate" or "I'm just being realistic". In my experience the same people are always the "devil's advocate" or being "realistic". If you always wear the black hat, take it off for a while. If you work with the black hat, ask for a black hat moratorium in your office for an hour, a day or a week. Even if you work by yourself, you will amp your attitude by being an "angel's advocate" (be "optimistic" about the end result) today.
- Change your environment. Maybe you can't change the paint in your surroundings, but you can change your environment. If you find yourself heading to the 'dark side', get up from your desk. Walk around the office or outside. Do anything to change your perspective and you will improve your attitude - the brief bit of exercise won't hurt either.
- Smile. I've saved the simplest and easiest for last. Smile. When you smile you feel better. When you smile - and others see it - they smile too (try it) and then you feel even better. If you want to amp your attitude right now, smile (it takes less than a second).
You can do any (or all) of these things right now. They are each a choice. Some may be easier for you, so it might be smart to start there. Start there, but don't stop there - implement these ideas and make your attitude (and results) soar!