Let's talk about the best places to live in the Detroit area if you are looking for a home with privacy and acreage. First of all let me explain to you that it is rare to find acreage or lots of privacy in close to metro Detroit. Yes there are some larger parcels but they are going to be pricey if you are close to metro Detroit. You will start to find more homes and larger parcels when you get about 35 to 40 minutes out from the City of Detroit.
You will find homes to the south, west, and north of Detroit that have land or acreage once you get out of the metropolitan area. Yest there are some homes scattered her and there in the middle of cities like Allen Park, Livonia, Southfield, Rochester (for example) There homes with acreage or privacy are going to be rare. There are just not that many of them out there. So you will not have a wide variety to chose from. The cities closer to Detroit have been built up. The large parcels were split up and sold. Even some of the homes that sat on large lots have been torn down to make room for multiple homes. We see that quite often on lakes. Or we see small homes on Oakland County lakes torn down to make room for larger homes.
So if you are looking to find a home with some land when you have a job relocation to Metro Detroit you are going to have to get beyond most of the suburban cities. You are going to have to get out into the semi rural areas like Monroe, Salem Township, Northfield Township, Highland, or White Lake. Or Oakland Township, Shelby, or Macomb Township. It is going to be a longer drive if you truly work in the metro Detroit area.
When looking for a home with acreage in the metro Detroit area some of the key factors you need to consider is still:
- School systems - having a good school system will help with your return on investment. It will be easier to sell the home when you have a good school system
- Neighborhood - if the neighborhood is full of run down houses and the house you are looking at is a gem or overbuilt compared to them then you may want to reconsider. Again your value will be better if the whole area is similar in sizes. Another example if most of the homes are farm houses and you have this magnificient estate home (none other like it in the area). It is going to be harder to sell later on. You will have to get the right affluent buyer.
- Cities. The more desirable the city the better the return on your money.
- Safety or low crime - should not be an issue in most rural cities.
- Amenities & characteristics of the property. Pole barns, ponds, and seclusion are all great selling features. I had a Michigan relocation buyer ask me why it were pole barns such a big thing in Michigan. A pole barn is a desirable amenity when you have a property with acreage.
If you are looking for a place in Metro Detroit with some land or with some property these 5 tips on what to buy should help you find the right property. At least for a good return on your investment. There are very few bad areas to buy in when you are looking for a home with land or privacy.
If you are looking for a good realtor to help you find the right property give me a call at (248) 310-6239. Russ Ravary your metro Detroit realtor.
Here are some links to other lakes in the area.