A Realtor is a member of the National Association of Realtors the NAR. Here are my suggestions if I were the new CEO of the NAR:
1. Standards – There should be a major change in the ability to become a Realtor. Teaching should be practical to what it takes to actual be a Realtor rather than information that will not make a person a better Realtor. All Realtors would need to have a Broker’s License within four years of being licensed.
2. Ethics – I would enforce ethics and make it easier for our real estate community to self-govern without making our life difficult. Ethics is the key to winning the public’s respect.
3. Fees – All fees should be charged for the benefit of Realtors and the Realtors should have a voice in how they are used.
4. Politics – All of the political involvement should be geared towards helping home owners and future home owners have a sound investment.
5. Charity – The membership should be involved in which charities are approved.
6. Voting – The membership should be allowed to vote on all changes.
7. Realtor.com – No private entity should own a website that is perceived to represent the best interest of a Realtor.
8. Leadership – There should be term limits on the leadership and each association should vote and be informed on the candidates.
9. Awards – The NAR should get an annual award’s show on TV and bring light to what benefits a Realtor bring to the public. Awards should be voted upon by all associations.
10. Benefits & Discounts– Membership should bring benefits for the large amount of people within the group and the power of numbers should allow many benefits that are warranted by the purchasing power it provides. Travel, Plays, Movies, Restaurants, Hotels, Auto Purchases, Car Rental, Insurance and many others should compete to garner the business of members of NAR.
11. Health Insurance – There should be the best Health Insurance Program available for a group as large as the NAR.
12. Punishment – A Realtor should always be held to the highest standards as a Fiduciary. Anyone that sheds a bad light on this profession should be accountable for their actions. The punishment for diminishing the value of a Realtor and perception of the meaning should be dealt with severely. Our goal as Realtors is to protect and promote the meaning of Realtor.
Tony Lewis RE/MAX of Valencia