2. Direct marketing junk. Register here to eliminate catalogs, magazine offers, donation requests, and so forth.
3. Credit card offers. The serviceis a joint venture among four consumer credit reporting companies, such as Experian and Equifax. You’ll need to provide your Social Security number to stop the flood of credit card offers.
Quick junk mail facts:
Here’s the impact you can have by opting out of junk mail. Just consider these four facts fromForest Ethics:
• Paper production is the third most energy-intensive of all manufacturing industries, using over 12% of all energy in the industrial sector.
• American households receive a total of 104.7 billion pieces of junk mail annually – 848 pieces of junk mail per household. That chews up 6.5 million tons of paper each year.
• Approximately 44% of junk mail goes to landfills unopened.
Adapted from a previous edition of The REsource newsletter by Elyse Umlauf