If you don't have a Wordpress site, you can probably skip this post.
If you're super sharp on running and modifying your Wordpress site, you can just click Next!
But if you've got a Wordpress site and know just enough to be dangerous to yourself, then this post MIGHT be for you! Consider this a bonus Ask An Ambassador post for the week.
And if you have no idea what SSL is, you might want to go read Tammy Emineth 's post about what SSL is and her offer for you to hire her to take care of your conversion. That $75 fee might save you a lot of time and effort, or you can go FSBO like I did...and with all the problems that come with that :)
What helped me was some general guidance from WPBeginner.com. That site is loaded with great tutorials and for the most part not too tech speak heavy. So their SSL tutorial got me through the basics along with some instructions from my IDX provider's site.
Now like any do it yourself project, it wasn't as simple as I hoped. A plugin called Really Simple SSL helped automate some of the conversion steps, but there was a point that I was REALLY glad that I have daily back ups for my Wordpress site. And of course while most of the roadmap was performing according to plan, there WERE wrinkles. Things like my php version not being current enough to support the conversion and have my website look even close to what it was supposed to. So down the rabbithole to find out how to check php versions and how to update (fortunately Google and instructions on my site host gave me the info I needed).
For the most part I got it done.
I had the green lock on Chrome:
But I didn't have it on all my pages. There was an issue with my IDX pages, so I wasn't 100% there. No green lock.
At first I assumed that my IDX provider or MLS hadn't followed through on hosting the photos on a secure site like they'd said was happening. And so far multiple emails to the MLS provider have NOT been responded to.
But this morning I noticed something I hadn't caught before. It wasn't ALL my IDX pages without the green lock, but just some of them. So that blew the theory that it was bad security hosting on the MLS photos or ALL the pages would have had an issue.
Some more poking around this evening and it clicked. The pages with problems were the ones that I'd copied into IDX from ActiveRain to be the starting point for new search pages. And in copying over the posts, I'd also brought over the photos from those posts. And those imports were from BEFORE ActiveRain implementing SSL/https, so the photo hosting links were all http and NOT https. That one letter is all it too to make my photos not Secure in Google's eyes. So root cause and solution identified! Either bring the photos into Wordpress for hosting, or edit the links in the IDX pages to https and problem solved. Since AR has updated to SSL, adding the s in the photo URL would work.
I tested it for a few pages and sure enough, all went from yellow to Green Lock. Now I have another project, a few hundred IDX pages to check one by one, and refresh those photos or links where needed. So add that to my To Do list. I'll probably need the eating an elephant approach, get a handful of pages at a time until the whole thing is done.
Hopefully my experience saves you some grief! But converting to SSL is something you want to do. We depend on our website for new clients, and having Google chase off consumers with a warning about your content not being safe is NOT something any of us need.
Bill of Liz and Bill aka BLiz