As our industry changes, so must the rules... We tend to let things get to be a little "Wild West" syndrome before the public rebels.. FREC Florida Real Estate Commission has heard the public loud and clear, that they dont understand the difference between an agent and a brokerage, and have adopted new rules for teams and advertising.
So many signs were adorning lawns with :Bobs Home Team XXX-XXXX :" and never had the name of the Brokerage.. So what?? Well, it comes down to liability.. Bob was not a business with insurance etc.. Bob actually worked for John Doe Realty,,
Effective this month the new laws have gone into affect.. If by chance , you or your team needs to make a change.. you should do so ASAP.. Am guessing , there wont be warnings issued..
Am sure other states are looking to make changes too.
From the Florida Realtor website:
61J2-10.026 Team or Group Advertising
(1) “Team or group advertising” shall mean a name or logo used by one or more real estate licensees who
represent themselves to the public as a team or group. The team or group must perform licensed activities
under the supervision of the same broker or brokerage.
(2) Each team or group shall file with the broker a designated licensee to be responsible for ensuring that
the advertising is in compliance with chapter 475, Florida Statutes, and division 61J2, Florida Administrative
(3) At least once monthly, the registered broker must maintain a current written record of each team’s or
(4) Team or group names. Real estate team or group names may include the word “team” or “group” as
part of the name. Real estate team or group names shall not include the following words:
(j) LP, LLP or Partnership
(m) Real Estate
(o) Or similar words suggesting the team or group is a separate real estate brokerage or company
(5) This rule applies to all advertising.
(6) Advertisements containing the team or group name shall not appear in larger print than the name or
logo of the registered brokerage. All advertising must be in a manner in which reasonable persons would know
they are dealing with a team or group.
(7) All advertisements must comply with these requirements no later than July 1, 2019.
Nothing in this rule shall relieve the broker of their legal obligations under chapter 475, Florida Statutes, and
division 61J2, Florida Administrative Code.
Rulemaking Authority 475.05, 475.25(1)(c) FS. Law Implemented 475.25 FS. History–New 6-18-18.