How does one make an "Old" home feel "New" again. Well, as a Realtor, here is what I have personally noticed that people have been doing in their homes.
Getting rid of the out of date features that may have been popular in some bygone decade is a good start. Plus there are so many new home gadgets and features that make a home fun to live in.
1. Remove popcorn ceilings: I am sure this is not the first place you have heard this, but it is relatively easy (but messy) and is a good place to start
2. Replace flourescent lights and halogen ceiling lights with recessed LED lights with dimmers. This eliminates the need for cords and table lamps and helps set the mood of the occassion.
3. Fill in Sunken living rooms: Outdated and gotta go. Fill it in and level out. Prevents someone from getting injured in that middle of the night step down
4. Front door hardware: Get rid of the rusty or scratched old door handle and lock that you struggle to turn. Get something gleaming and new that opens like butter. Maybe a combo entry or a remote entry from your Smart Phone
Shiny and New Front Door Hardware is Nice
5. Bay Windows: Add a bay window pushing out into the back yard. This makes the room look larger and gives you more viewing angles
6. Replace kitchen counters: Get rid of the laminate that may still work and go with granite, quartz or some other modern material.
7. Replace front door: Get an amazing door that is a conversation piece.
8. Security doorbells and remote cameras: Cool and lets you know who is at the door even when you are away.
9. New Kitchen Hardware: You know if your hardware is old and dreary. Get with it and get something new and hip
10. Replace ceiling lights and fans: If yours scream 1970s it is time to go with something new
11. Shower updates: The old shower and shower curtain can be transformed into a glass and tile shower masterpiece with great tile and rain shower head
A new glass and tile shower provides a transformation
12. Bathroom Toilets: Are yours dated and wobbly. Give your guests a firm foundation on a comfort height toilet and how about the "power flush" 20 golf ball model while you are at it. Time to splurge.
13. Wallpaper: If you have it, it could be nice, but it also be time to say "Bye-Bye". Your old scraper on the workbench may need to come into the home for some work and something new.
14. How about a fountain or a pond: Have a dreary view from a front or back window. Fountains and ponds are easy to put in these days. Even a wall fountain on a window opening to a border fence in the side yard. Make it interesting. Put accent lights on the fountain.
15. Epoxy the garage floor: I don't know why, but these floors look very nice when compared to bare concrete and makes the garage look cleaner and even up to date.
Well there you have it from my perspective as a professional Realtor.
Of course, if you don't want to go to this effort and still want a home that feels new come see me. I will list your home and find you a new "New" feeling home that is move in ready.
Press FREE MLS Search for search for homes for sale in Arizona