How I Got Into Real Estate in the First Place

By
Real Estate Broker/Owner with Austin Texas Homes, LLC 453249

Some of my my friends probably will not like this, while others of you will nod and agree.

This is how I decided to get into the real estate industry:

I was running a photography and printing business in 1996 catering mainly to Realtors, called Digital Homefront. We were using the brand-new digital cameras that had hit the market, and we were printing property fliers and delivering them to agents. It was decent money because I was still in my 20’s with no kids, and my wife was still working at the time.

Near the last quarter of that year, I mentioned to my then-business partner that some of our customers (who were almost all real estate agents) were making a lot more money than we were, and they were not particularly smart people.

I think I said something like, “It can’t be rocket science.”

A couple of months later, we were licensed Realtors.

That was over 21 years ago.

I won’t claim I have never regretted it, but I genuinely enjoy what I do most of the time, and it’s been lucrative most years.

So now you know the truth.

I started my career because I determined that even dumb people could somehow make money selling homes in Austin.

It is not nearly as easy as it probably seems to those who are not licensed, and most agents are pretty sharp...but not all of them.

Posted by

 

If you're looking for a home in the Austin area, you can also visit my primary website at www.austintexashomes.com.  Thanks!

close

This entry hasn't been re-blogged:

Re-Blogged By Re-Blogged At
Topic:
Real Estate Industry
Groups:
Realtors®
Real Estate Rookie
Dedicated Bloggers
Club Chaos
Bananatude

Post a Comment
Spam prevention
Spam prevention
Show All Comments
Rainmaker
528,817
Gwen Fowler-CRS- 864-638-3599 SC Mountains & Lakes--
Gwen Fowler Real Estate, Inc - Salem, SC
Gwen Fowler Real Estate, Inc.

Thank you for sharing your story here on Active Rain. 

Jul 25, 2018 10:18 AM #1
Rainmaker
1,176,070
Lorrie Semler, REALTOR® in the Dallas area. Call/text 972-416-3417
United Real Estate - Addison, TX
Real Service. Real Results. Real Estate

I'm in the nodding and agreeing camp. It's not rocket science.

Jul 25, 2018 12:01 PM #2
Rainmaker
2,473,727
Myrl Jeffcoat
GreatWest Realty - Sacramento, CA
Greater Sacramento Real Estate Agent

I'm smiling at your "It ain't rocket science" remark.  I remember standing in line at a supermarket and listening to two women talk about becoming agents.  They had just visited an Open House, and they said, "How difficult can it be?"

Jul 25, 2018 02:08 PM #3
Ambassador
3,772,175
Kathy Streib
Room Service Home Staging - Delray Beach, FL
Home Stager - Palm Beach County,FL -561-914-6224

Jason- I've met many who got into the industry just because they met or worked with an agent who may have sold their home and thought they could do a better job! LOL  

Jul 25, 2018 05:47 PM #4
Rainmaker
1,374,432
Jeffrey DiMuria 321.223.6253 Waves Realty
Waves Realty - Melbourne, FL
Florida Space Coast Homes

Jason, I go under an 80/20 assumption. I figure 80% of my competitors will never commit to clients the way I do, and the other 20% I will have a fight on my hands. I love those odds.

Jul 26, 2018 07:47 AM #5
Post a Comment
Spam prevention
Show All Comments

What's the reason you're reporting this blog entry?

Are you sure you want to report this blog entry as spam?

Ambassador
1,240,616

Jason Crouch

Broker - Austin Texas Real Estate (512-796-7653)
Ask me anything!
*
*
*
*
Spam prevention

Additional Information