For people who want to buy a new home - without doing anything crazy to get the deal done - there are two great opportunities each year to do so. One is late summer when it gets hotter than Hades here in DC with everyone heading to the beach. And the other is coming up in about a week.
- Between Thanksgiving and New Years, a lot of people, both agents and their clients are preoccupied with the holidays.
- They are busy shopping, decorating their homes and baking cookies.
- They may be leaving town for celebrations with loved ones.
- Those staying in town are often busy taking care of family coming to visit them!
- Unless sellers are highly motivated, they often take their homes off the market until the first of the year.
- People who want to sell often decide to wait until after the first of the year, when things tend to pick up.
For prospective home buyers, there are minuses and pluses for looking when nobody else is.
The inventory of homes for sale will probably be lower than during the more robust spring and fall markets. But there will be far fewer people competing for each listing.
Many of the homes that are for sale are what we call "stale" listings that have been on the market for months. But they aren't all overpriced hovels that reek of kitty litter. Somethimes they are just difficult to show, or when buyers do get inside, there is no staging to create a wow factor - even in a wow house.
While relatively few homes are added to the inventory during late November and December, those that do come on are less likely to have a horde of buyers standing in line to see them. You might be able to pull off buying a place without getting into a bloody bidding war.
And if you find the perfect place, don't worry that the listing agent and maybe the sellers are away on vacation. There is plenty of technology to get a house sold.
So Thanksgiving is only a week and a half away, and there is are many promising houses and condos for sale. If you'd like to check out the opportunities in this holiday market, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call or text me at 202-549-5167.