Can you imagine how long ago this post was writter?
Yes, this is the post from Lisa Von Domek was written in 2012!
Renovating? Go Green!!
Renovating your Home the Green Way
Day in and day out, I am asked the same important question from homeowners as they undertake renovations throughout their residences: “How can I make my home green; more environmentally friendly?”
As a designated GREEN real estate professional by the National Association of Realtors; as well as, Certified Green Building Professional (CGP) by the National Association of Home Builders, I know that it’s not only the right thing to do from an environmental standpoint, but that renovating with green materials and appliances will be a key selling point down the road if they choose to list their home.
Following are just a few suggestions I can give to these green-minded homeowners:
- Consider using bamboo, cork or eucalyptus flooring products in place of more traditional flooring materials. They mature in roughly half the time of hardwoods and are an affordable and durable option.
- Use wood alternatives or FSC-certified wood products in your cabinetry materials.
- Consider locally-sourced products when possible to reduce carbon emissions during transportation.
- Install low-flow toilets and faucets for more water reduction throughout the home.
- When shopping for appliances, look for the Energy Star label; you might be surprised at the growing number of appliances that now carry the label.
- Use eco-friendly paints, stains and finishes that aren’t made up of volatile organic compounds, which give you that woozy feeling after painting and contribute to pollution. If you aren’t sure if the paints you’re considering fit the bill, ask the supplier – or ask your Real Living Sales Professional to help you figure out if the paint you’re using is environmentally friendly.
- Reuse scraps. If you have leftover flooring, cabinetry or countertop material, keep it around. You never know where or how you could reuse these materials in the future.
Click here for more information from your Dallas Green Realtor Lisa Von Domek.
Lisa Von Domek
BROKER/ASSOCIATE/REALTOR, ABR, AHWD, ALHS, ASP, BPOR, CAPS, CDPE, CGP,CLHMS, CMS, CRS, CSP, e-PRO, GREEN, GRI, MRP, PS, QSC, SFR, SRES, TAHS, TRCLisa Von Domek & Associates, LLC / Real Living Real Estate Group
Phone: 972-849-1300Email: Lisa@LisaVon.comWebsite: www.LisaVon.com
Multi-Million Dollar Consultant
Texas Licensed Real Estate Broker
Information, written commentary, photos, original verse, etc… are the property of this author and may be reprinted or posted for Active Rain.