It's a truly magical moment when buyers find their new home, the house that they just know is the one. The one that gets their attention as soon as we pull up. The one that feels good when we open the front door. The one that they can see themselves coming home to every day. The one that they mentally decorate as we walk through it. The one that they linger in. The one they leave with a sigh. The one they are eager to call mine/our nest.
There is a bit of preparation to get to that point or otherwise this journey of falling in love can turn into quite a frustrating experience.. opening one door after another, houses becoming just a blur, under contract before you got a chance to see, priced out, missed chances, not enough this or too close to that.
If you want to feel warm and fuzzy, you first need to know. Knowledge is the key that will unlock the front door to your dream home:
1. Know what you need. Be specific and look to the future. Are 2 bedrooms going to fit your needs long-term or would 3 perhaps be better? Do you need extra, extra storage space? An office? Yard? A certain location (think schools, public transportation, commuting times etc.)?
2. Know what you want. Be specific. Know your style, know what speaks to you, what inspires you, what comforts you. For example, do you really want that big back yard and all the maintenance that comes with it or are you "just" longing for that cozy outdoor space to seek and find some solitude on the weekends?
3. Know the difference. This is really important. Your wants you can compromise on, your needs not so much. Your wants you can probably add, change, adjust. Your needs not as much.
4. Know what you can afford. Just as important. It's never a good idea to start searching for a house to fall in love with before you know what you can afford. You want to know and you need to know to be ready to make a move as soon as we find the one.
5. Know the right people to help you find and get it. Don't just find the best agent in your area but find the one with passion. Find the one who also enjoys working with buyers and doesn't just hand you off to somebody else. Find the one that suits your [communication] style, the one you click with, trust and enjoy talking to (you will be doing a lot of that for quite some time).
How to fall in love with a house... prepare to know and finally feel!
P.S. There is still time to fall in love now and move in before the holidays! To find your dream home in Silver Spring, MD and beyond, give me a call @240.593.2860 to get started, I would love to help you find the one!