Gaithersburg Police Department Crime Prevention Safety Tip
October is "Crime Prevention Month". This week we will focus on Home Security Safety.
Many burglars will spend no longer than 60 seconds trying to break into a home. Good locks and good neighbors who watch for each other can be big deterrents to burglars. The Gaithersburg Police Department would like to provide the following safety tips to make your home a little safer.
Check the locks
- Make sure every external door has a sturdy well-installed dead bolt lock.
- Sliding glass doors can be secured by installing commercially available locks or by using a Charlie-bar in the inside track to jam the door. To prevent the door from being lifted off the track, drill a hole through the sliding glass doorframe and the fixed frame. Then insert a pin in the hole.
- When you move into a new house or apartment, rekey the locks.
Check the doors
- All doors are locked at night every time you leave the house, even if it’s just for a few minutes.
- All outside doors should be metal-clad or solid hardwood.
- If your doors do not fit tightly in their frames, install weather stripping around them.
- Install a peephole or wide-angle viewer in all entry doors, so you can see who is outside without opening the door. Door chains break easily and do not keep out intruders.
- Do not open your door to strangers.
Check the outside
- Install motion lights.
- Maintain your yard. Prune back shrubbery so it does not hide doors or windows.
- Make sure your address is visible (both day and night) from the street for First Responders.
- Leave shades, blinds, and/or curtains in normal positions. (Limit the amount of visibility into your home)
- If you travel, create the illusion that you are at home by getting some timers that will turn lights on and off in different areas of your house throughout the evening.
Report Suspicious Activities to the Police by calling 301-279-8000 (non-emergency).
The Gaithersburg Police Department also offers free home security surveys. A Police Officer will come to your residence, assess your locks, doors, windows, landscaping, and make recommendations based on current crime patterns and trends. Call the Community Services Office at 301-258-6168 to schedule a free home security survey.
If you have questions or community concerns, please email the Police Community Services Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 301-258-6168.
This Gaithersburg Police Department message is posted on ActiveRain as a community service.