Grandfather gets Grandfathered

By
Home Inspector with Charles Buell Inspections Inc.

Once-upon-a-time, grandpa was working on a junction box in the basement when he came in contact with the neutral of a multi-wire circuit for the dishwasher/disposal. He had shut the circuit down but because there was no handle tie–the neutral was still energized.

He got such a shock he fell off the ladder and broke his leg—already compromised by long term lead exposure.

There was no way he was going to make it up the stairs, so he thought if he could crawl to the basement bedroom he would be able to get out the window. However, the window was too high off the floor and way too small to fit through. It was not an option.

By now it was getting dark and he was beginning to panic.

The stairs loomed like a mountain in front of him, dark and ominous. There was no light switch to light up the stairs and he might not have been able to figure out a way to turn it on anyway. The missing handrail would also be of no help. So, he began the long painful slide up the stairs dragging his sorry leg behind him.

Fighting all the way, to avoid sliding back down the too steep stairs, he finally got to the top. That is when he realized he left his keys on the basement workbench. He remembered it being a bad idea when he set them down.

Without his keys he could not unlock the keyed deadbolt. It would have been excruciating to reach anyway, but after the stairs he figured he could have managed.

He thought about the back door but calling for help from there would have been useless. It had to be the front door.

He thought about the phone hanging on the kitchen wall 5 feet off the floor, but he had already ruled out being able to reach that.

He lay there listening to himself wheeze, mustering all the common sense he could. He likely later would trade that for good sense instead.

He decided his only option was to break the very large plate glass panel next to the door to call for help.

He lifted the heavy cast iron Cherub door stop and smashed the glass with one painful blow. The non-safety-glass panel shattered into large guillotine shaped pieces that swooshed down slicing off poor grandpa’s hand.

He bled to death right there.

Charles Buell, Real Estate Inspections in Seattle

Posted by

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Seattle Home Inspector

 

The Human Rights Campaign   QR code for Charles Buell Inspections Inc  ASHI.org

 

WA State, Home Inspector Advisory Licensing Board

close

This entry hasn't been re-blogged:

Re-Blogged By Re-Blogged At
Topic:
ActiveRain Community
Groups:
The Lounge at Active Rain
Dedicated Bloggers
"Whacked"!!!
Bananatude
WeBlog Anything (almost)!

Post a Comment
Spam prevention
Spam prevention
Show All Comments
Rainmaker
2,556,743
Myrl Jeffcoat
GreatWest Realty - Sacramento, CA
Greater Sacramento Real Estate Agent

That is a tale of very unfortunate events, Charles.  I hope your week is better than grandfather's was.

Oct 08, 2018 08:37 AM #1
Rainmaker
1,850,197
Jay Markanich
Jay Markanich Real Estate Inspections, LLC - Bristow, VA
Home Inspector - servicing all Northern Virginia

I loved this when I read it the other day!  Or yesterday, whichever...

Thank goodness the stairs had not been grandfathered with risers on the back so he could pull himself upstairs!  But then the glass, it's always the glass.

Actually this very thing happened to my great aunt in the 60s.  She was 80 something and fell down the last two basement stairs and broke her hip.  Living alone, and with no ability to call out, she literally dragged herself up the stairs and to the front door.  I can't imagine how much that hurt!

Oct 08, 2018 08:57 AM #2
Rainmaker
1,850,197
Jay Markanich
Jay Markanich Real Estate Inspections, LLC - Bristow, VA
Home Inspector - servicing all Northern Virginia

P.s.  hope the clot is melting!  Did you get my text?  I put on your other post about natural blood thinners too.

Oct 08, 2018 08:57 AM #3
Rainmaker
3,983,315
William Feela
WHISPERING PINES REALTY - North Branch, MN
Realtor, Whispering Pines Realty 651-674-5999 No.

A story that should be taken to heart and take a good look around for our own safety

Oct 08, 2018 10:21 AM #4
Rainmaker
2,036,474
Patricia Feager, MBA, CRS, GRI,MRP
DFW FINE PROPERTIES - Fort Worth, TX
Selling Homes Changing Lives

WOW! I wasn't expecting that ending. Safety comes to mind. I so appreciate home inspectors who explain things in a way that is easily understood.

Oct 08, 2018 11:55 AM #5
Ambassador
3,351,957
Debe Maxwell, CRS
www.iCharlotteHomes.com | The Maxwell House Group | RE/MAX Executive | (704) 491-3310 - Charlotte, NC
Charlotte Homes for Sale - Charlotte Neighborhoods

That was an heart wrenching story that should be heeded as a cautionary tale. Very sad outcome.

Oct 08, 2018 02:50 PM #6
Ambassador
3,899,675
Kathy Streib
Room Service Home Staging - Delray Beach, FL
Home Stager - Palm Beach County,FL -561-914-6224

Hi Charles, that is a sad story. I reread it just to make sure I understood everything that happened. 

Oct 08, 2018 07:43 PM #7
Post a Comment
Spam prevention
Show All Comments

What's the reason you're reporting this blog entry?

Are you sure you want to report this blog entry as spam?

Ambassador
1,334,402

Charles Buell

Seattle Home Inspector
Ask me a question
*
*
*
*
Spam prevention

Additional Information