Hurricane Florence Damage – Recovery Tips
We at Green Key Realty have had many inquiries over the past couple of weeks about what to do and who to call for recovery assistance. Just to help our clients here is a quick overview of getting into and staying on top of the recovery.
- Call insurance adjuster – keep calling and calling until you get a report filed and an adjuster scheduled. Be sure to tell them “if” your property is Uninhabitable as that will get you on the priority list and seen sooner.
- Get a CLAIM NUMBER … keep this as it will be needed for vendors, adjustors and restoration companies.
- Take pictures and more pictures of everything inside and out
- Take additional pictures if more damage shows up or you find any hidden or previously unnoticed damage
- GET TARP or TAR PAPER OVER YOUR ROOF to prevent continued water penetration
- Then start mitigating any interior damage
- Get all wet stuff out – carpets, carpet pads, fallen ceilings, furnishings, sheet rock, insulation, etc. (or get remediation company)
- If you have power run fans and dehumidifiers to pull out moisture (or get remediation company)
- Right now moisture is the biggest enemy … it creates mold, mildew and microbial grown that are NOT covered by insurance. Keep washing down with Clorox & water solution to prevent and remove (or get remediation company).
- Insulation – will need to be removed from attics and walls. Replace all insulation and treat to prevent microbial growth & dry area out before replacing (or get remediation company).
- If needed contact one of the restoration/remediation companies … members of DKI companies, ServPro, ServiceMaster, Pro Environmental, etc. They can do the demolition, removal, cleaning, treating and dry out.
- Make sure your restoration company has the software to communicate directly with your insurance company, send them reports, and bill them directly.
- If restoration company is used for mitigation you can then hire local contractor for the build out.
If you need any referrals email us at GreenKey.NC@gmail.com.