Crime Prevention Month Safety Tips
October is Crime Prevention Month. This notice was provided by the Gaithersburg Police Department in Maryland.
This week, we focus on “Thefts and Theft from Autos”.
With eCommerce options like one-click shopping and free two-day shipping, shopping online is ever so popular. While home delivery can save you time throughout the year and during the holiday season, stolen packages are a headache no one wants to deal with.
We would like to offer some Safety Tip to prevent package theft:
1. If your job allows it, have packages delivered to your work.
2. Schedule deliveries for times you will be home. This keeps packages from sitting unattended for long periods of time.
3. Send the package to the residence of a trusted friend or relative who you know will be home. Be sure that the friend is ready and waiting to retrieve the package when the doorbell rings.
4. Ask the package delivery company if there are options to hold the packages if you will not be home.
5. Use a company that provides a tracking service and check online to see when your package is scheduled to arrive.
6. Have the items shipped to the nearest store for "in-store pick up."
Theft from Autos are a crime of opportunity. Criminals look for any chance by finding unlocked car doors & items in plain view.
We would like to offer some Safety Tips to deter such activity:
1. Lock your car doors and close your windows.
2. Don’t hide keys in your vehicle.
3. Park in a garage or a well-lit area.
4. Be aware of identification theft if items stolen contain personal information.
5. Don’t leave valuables in your car. Even small items of all value.
Dahlia, Zoey Rey, American Dahlia Society Show, Longwood Gardens, Kennett Square, PA USA IMG 5569
Canon PowerShot G11 Camera
Photograph by Roy Kelley
Roy and Dolores Kelley Photographs