Raleigh, CPA Firm: How to File Back Taxes with the IRS and NCDOR

Education & Training with Lauren Massie, CPA PLLC

Haven’t filed income taxes with the IRS or the North Carolina Department of Revenue (NCDOR) in a while? Trying to get caught up on filing the missing tax returns (non-filed tax returns) and don’t know where to start? These are the types of issues that I’ve been helping client with over the last 12+ years in my Raleigh, NC office. The main focus of my CPA practice is income tax representation for individuals who need tax help with the IRS or the North Carolina Department of Revenue. Below is some information on how to address the issue of unfiled back tax returns.

How Many Years of Back Taxes Do I Need to File?

It is not uncommon for a person to have several years of unfiled federal or North Carolina state tax returns and not be contacted by the IRS or the NCDOR. However, given recent renewed focus by the IRS on getting more taxpayers into compliance it is only a matter of when and not if the IRS or NCDOR will catch up with those who need to file back taxes. As such, it’s best to resolve back tax issues “head-on” and file the back tax returns before the tax agencies reach out first. How many years of back tax returns need to be filed? Luckily, the IRS and NCDOR will generally only require you to file the last six (6) years of tax returns to be considered back in compliance.

Fresh Start Tax Program for Back Taxes

The Fresh Start Tax Program was created to help taxpayers gain more flexibility with resolving their tax debts through the use of installment agreements (tax payment plans) or even settling their tax debts for less than they owe through the Offer-in-Compromise program (often referred to as “settling for pennies on the dollar”). However, the first step in order to qualify for any tax debt relief option is to file all back tax returns. Filing the back tax returns and utilizing a tax repayment option will generally protect taxpayers from having to worry about wage garnishments (having a levy on a paycheck) or bank garnishments (having a levy on a checking or savings account).

Please feel free to contact me if you or someone you know in the Raleigh, NC area needs help with filing back tax returns or with settling their tax debts using the options available under the IRS Fresh Start Tax Program. I regularly assist clients in my Raleigh, NC office with unfiled tax returns, removing wage garnishments and bank levies, setting up installment agreements, and filing an Offer in Compromise. I can be contacted by phone at (919) 792-8511 or you can email me directly using this link.

I’m here to help!


Lauren Massie

Lauren Massie, CPA, PLLC

8480 Honeycutt Road, Suite 200

Raleigh, NC 27615

(919) 792-8511



Lauren Massie, CPA, PLLC is based in Raleigh, North Carolina and serves clients throughout the Greater Triangle Area including cities such as Wake Forest, Durham, Cary, Chapel Hill, Morrisville, Holly Springs, Fuquay-Varina, Clayton, Louisburg, Knightdale, Zebulon, Rolesville, Wendell, Hillsborough, Youngsville, Franklinton, Garner, Zebulon, Henderson, Franklinton, Holly Springs, Creedmoor, and Angier.


This entry hasn't been re-blogged:

Re-Blogged By Re-Blogged At
Lending / Financial
tax law
unfiled tax returns
tax debt help
back taxes
payment plan
bank levy
installment agreement
wage garnishment
raleigh cpa
settle tax debt
lauren massey
back tax return
non filer
irs fresh start tax
missing tax returns

Post a Comment
Spam prevention
Spam prevention
Post a Comment
Spam prevention

What's the reason you're reporting this blog entry?

Are you sure you want to report this blog entry as spam?


Lauren Massie, CPA, EA, MBA

CPA - Specializing in Tax Settlement in Raleigh NC
Ask me a question!
Spam prevention