Panel Terminations of Romex
Wenatchee Home Inspections
One of the most common occurrences with those who should not be doing there own electrical work is terminations at the panel. Romex(a trade name) or more specifically NM Cable has to be properly secured to the panel per code. This is to prevent potential damage to the cable.
Per the electrical code, all cables must be secured to the enclosure with fittings designed and listed for the cable [312.5(C)].
From the 2017 NEC
Where cable is used, each cable shall be secured to the cabinet, cutout box. or meter socket enclosure.
Exception: Cables with entirely nonmetallic sheaths shall be permitted to enter the top of a surface-mounted enclosure through one or more nonflexible raceways not less than 450 mm (18 in.) and not more than 3.0 m (10 ft) in length, provided all of the following conditions are met:
(1) Each cable is fastened within 300 mm (12 in.), measured along the sheath, of the outer end of the raceway.
(2) The raceway extends directly above the enclosure and does not penetrate a structural ceiling.
(3) A fitting is provided on each end of the raceway to protect the cable(s) from abrasion and the fittings remain accessible after installation.
(4) The raceway is sealed or plugged at the outer end using approved means so as to prevent access to the enclosure through the raceway.
(5) The cable sheath is continuous through the raceway and extends into the enclosure beyond the fitting not less than 6 mm (1/4 in.)
(6) The raceway is fastened at its outer end and at other points in accordance with the applicable article.
( 7) Where installed as conduit or tubing, the cable fill does not exceed the amount that would be permitted for complete conduit or tubing systems In Table I of Chapter 9 of this Code and all applicable notes thereto. Note 2 to the tables in Chapter 9 does not apply to this condition.
Informational Note: See Table 1 in Chapter 9. including Note 9. for allowable cable fill in circular raceways. See 310.15(B)(3)(a) for required ampacity reductions for multiple tables installed in a common raceway.
For cable clamps or cable connectors, they must be used with only one cable, unless that clamp or fitting is identified for more than one cable. Many Type NM cable clamps are listed for two Type NM cables within a single fitting (Per UL White Book, product category PXJV).
Often this is a sign of less than professional work, and when it comes to electrical installation we really want professional work for safety.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
If you find any errors or have additional information that would expand on any code, building standards or manufacturer requirements please let me know.
NCW Home Inspections, LLC is a Licensed Washington State Home Inspection service located in Wenatchee Washington serving Chelan County, Douglas County, Kittitas County, Okanogan County and Grant County Washington and the cities of Wenatchee, Leavenworth, Cashmere, Oroville, Cle Elum, East Wenatchee, Quincy and many more…
Your Wenatchee and Chelan Professional Real Estate, Home and Structural Pest Inspection Service
Instructor- Fundamentals of Home Inspection- Bellingham Technical College
WA Home Inspector Advisory Licensing Board