South Louisiana is not known for its cold weather. Only a few times a year do we experience freezing temperatures and the possibility of a hard freeze. With the lows getting into the low 30’s tomorrow and possibly Wednesday, here are a few quick reminders so you can protect your pipes and plumbing.
- Close inside valves supplying water to outdoor faucets and hookups.
- Open outdoor faucets to allow residual water to drain; be sure to keep them open during the cold weather, while the water supply is turned off.
- Keep garage doors closed to help protect water pipes located in the garage.
- Open the doors on cabinets where plumbing is located. This can help allow warmer air to circulate around the pipes.
- For pipes that are at risk of freezing (both hot and cold water pipes), let water drip from faucets.
- Keep the heat in your home set at a minimum of 55 degrees.
Stay warm out there!
Originally posted at Lafayette Real Estate News