We think that the government is watching out for us, but the truth is that our labeling laws do not require manufacturers to list all ingredients for cleaning and personal care products. Food labels are the only labels that are accurate because the public spoke up many years ago and insisted on knowing exactly what is in our food.
Since personal care and cleaning products don't include a complete list of ingredients, we are allowing many toxic chemicals into our homes without realizing it.
We not only breathe the air in our homes, but we also absorb things into our skin. Anything that touches our skin or is breathed in either goes right into the limbic system of our brain or into our bloodstream in seconds.
We are the gatekeepers of our homes and we need to be vigilant in keeping harmful chemicals from coming through our doors!
Here are the easiest offenders to remove now:
- Fabric softeners - The truth is that fabric softeners contain chemicals which can be air pollutants, endocrine and hormone disrupters, and respiratory irritants to us and our family members. We breathe these chemicals in 24 hours a day because they are all over our clothes and bed sheets.
- Dryer Sheets - These also contain the same type of respiratory irritants and endocrine and hormone disrupters as fabric softeners. We have lived without these for years in our home and you can too!
- Shampoos and Conditioners that contain chemicals - Here are chemicals to look for on the labels. SLS (sodium laurel sulfate), Parabens (banned in Japan and Sweden, used as a preservative and germicide), Phthalates (banned in Europe, contains hormone-disrupting chemicals), Fragrances (research toluene and see why you don’t want to this anywhere near your family members), Propylene glycol (antifreeze), Alcohol, Aluminum, DEA, and Petrolatum. There are more but these are the most offensive right now. There are a few companies that produce pure and organic products that you can replace with what you have now.
- All-Purpose Household Cleaners - They all contain harmful chemicals except this one.
- Lotions, hand cream, and hand sanitizers - Check your labels for the chemicals mentioned above. "Fragrance" can mean lots of different things that are not required to be disclosed because of "trade secrets". These can cause respiratory irritation and compromise respiratory health. Look for pure and organic substitutes from reliable companies.
- Candles, room sprays, and plugins - Check your labels here too for the chemicals mentioned above. We don't have these in our home at all because all of them contain harmful chemicals. We use an essential oil diffuser instead and use pure essential oils that benefit our family's health instead of cause harm.
I hope this has inspired you to look at all the toxic chemicals that could be in your home. Please read your labels and take action. You are the only one that can keep these harmful chemicals from reaching your family.
Get the full details from the original article - 6 Harmful Toxins to Easily Remove From Your Home Now