“Accept what life offers you and try to drink from every cup. All wines should be tasted; some should only be sipped, but with others, drink the whole bottle.”
It is said by some that variety is the spice of life
I have lived my life with a sense of curiosity. I was never the coolest or smartest or most popular but I had the something that others weren't aware of and that is my thirst to live a full and diverse life. I have explored as many of the gifts that life has to offer in many aspects of my life.
- Friends - I lived at the border of two elementary schools so my at home were much different than the friends at school. In fact, I was Anthony at school and Tony at home. This rarity gave me more exposure to variety than most receive.
- Smoking - I hated smoking and tried to get my parents and brother to quit. I was unsuccessful and wanted to know why. I purposefully took up the habit to learn the draw and ended up with a 31/2 pack a day habit. It took me twelve years to kick the habit but I white knuckled it and have not smoked since 1982
- Drugs - My biggest mistake and best blessing are the same. I was a teenager in 1967 and was introduced to marijuana. It was something that drew me in due to my addictive nature. Talk about variety, there wasn't many that I didn't try. This was a curse and nearly destroyed my life and family. Fortunately I became drug free in 1978 and have been ever since. The blessing is learning about myself and not depending upon others for my happiness. I gained confidence and independence.
- Military - I was in the draft lottery in 1968 and drew number 66 out of 366. My choices were go into the Army, go to prison or run to Canada. I was a true conscientious objector. I wasn't going to prison and would never desert my country so I was drafted. My conviction was to never shoot at another human being but who know what would have happened if I had been sent to Vietnam.
- Moving - I was born and raised in Detroit, Michigan and moved to Grosse Pointe Woods, Michigan after high school. Opportunity knocked on my door and was offered a chance to move to California and have a future in the retail business. I took it and the rest is history.
- Love - The key to life is not settling, I had many opportunities at love but waited for the perfect choice and was blessed.
- Career - There were two jobs in my life and both were incredibly fulfilling. I owned and operated a retail business for twenty years. It was a lifelong dream. The 1994 Northridge Earthquake and family health issues ended this dream in 1996. It was devastating but I didn't give up. I was told about the career of a Realtor and start Lumbleau real estate school. I have been a Realtor since 1996. My life as a Realtor has surpassed the satisfaction of reaching my lifelong dream.
- Children - My wife and I have two daughters. Raising children is not for the faint of heart. We both worked together as a team utilizing life's lessons but developing our own style. We balanced out and complimented each others approach and did it our way. Our girls were gifted with the differing styles and approaches.
- Gambling - The addictive nature was never stronger than when it came to gambling. This demon introduced me to may differing people, fears and life experiences. The lessons learned from tryng something different could never be replaced. I have not been a gambler is leaving my retail business in 1996 but it was truly a eye opening time of my life.
- Sports - The aspect of life that shows most variety is Sports. As a kid in Detroit we played all four major sports after school. Football was my favorite, then baseball, basketball and even skated and play ice hockey. Then I discovered Bowling. After high school and just before moving to California Tennis peaked my interest. My brother introduced me to Golf years later. A friend of mine got me hooked on Formula One. Then I went to a Premier League Exhibition have at the Rose bowl and saw Chelsea beat Liverpool. I have been a Chelsea fan ever since. I currently play Tennis three times a week and am a member of The Paseo Club in Valencia , California Did I mention that I sailed a boat from San Diego to Ventura west Marina with an incredible friend?
- Music & Entertainment - I used to joke that I like 2 kinds of Music Rock & Roll. However I've been to concerts like Lyle Lovett, Alisha Keys, No Doubt, Willie Nelson, Wynonna and several other types and styles. Plays, movies, concerts, sports, seminars I just love entertainment and entertainers.
- Future - I am always looking for the next new joy to my life. Travel and seeing the French Open and Wimbledon as well as the Kentucky Derby live are some things that keep me looking forward to a greater variety in the future.
My Cousin once told me about Army Basic Training "I wouldn't do i again for a million dollars but I would sell the experience for million dollars either."
This quote describes by life perfectly.