Windstorms are not uncommon in the Northwest this time of year. This is at least the third one this Fall/Winter season and more are projected. We are known as The Evergreen State due to our many tall trees, but trees and winds don't always get along.
If you are new to the Northwest, having an alternative means of heat and cooking can be very useful in times like this. If you can, a generator is a wonderful investment too. Gas cook tops can light with a match, but don't rely on them too much or you may end up with Carbon Monoxide Poisoning. NEVER bring a barbecue or propane stove inside.
This picture is of a fairly busy street in Sammamish with a Douglas Fir resting on power lines. Puget Sound Energy is doing all they can to restore power to all that are affected, but they warn, it could be days before everyone is back on line.
Listen to the warnings. Stay away from downed power lines, keep your generators and gas cooking devices outside, don't open your refrigerators or freezers if you don't have to.
Stay safe neighbors!