Near tragedy averted...

By
Real Estate Broker/Owner with WHISPERING PINES REALTY 20398180

Yes it was close.

A near tragedy was averted because of a bathroom call at 3 am.

Many people have wood burning fireplaces and or small wood stoves.

They are a great source of a supplemental source of heat.

 

Here is the story:

Mr. homeowner cleaned  out the ashes from the fire place.

 

Set them by the door to take out in the morning when he headed to work. 

He awoke for a nature call and when he got into the hallway he smelled Smoke.

 

Quickly checked the bedrooms and then went downstairs.

To his surprise, the smoke was coming from t he ash bucket.

 

The issue was that the pail was melting!  Yes Melting.

He was using a plastic pail for the ashes and is was smoldering and dripping onto the floor.

 

If you are one of those that are using wood to burn, make sure you are safely disposing of the ashes.

It could be a disaster in the making.

 

 

close

Re-Blogged 1 time:

Re-Blogged By Re-Blogged At
  1. Roy Kelley 01/14/2019 01:00 AM
Topic:
Local News and Events
Location:
Minnesota Chisago County North Branch
Groups:
Realtors®
Family Ties
Diary of a Realtor
WeBlog Anything (almost)!
Old Farts Club
Tags:
north ranch
mn fireplace safety

Post a Comment
Spam prevention
Spam prevention
Show All Comments
Rainmaker
664,357
Pat Champion
Coldwell Banker Camelot Realty - Mount Dora, FL
Call the "CHAMPION" for all your real estate needs

Wow! It is a good thing that he needed a bathroom break and the story ended well. Thanks for sharing I hope you have a great weekend.

Jan 12, 2019 08:29 AM #1
Rainmaker
3,122,314
Michael Jacobs
Pasadena, CA
Los Angeles Pasadena 818.516.4393

Good morning,  William - lesson learned. Hopefully. Fortunately this was not a Darwin-award  winning contest  submission 

Jan 12, 2019 08:31 AM #2
Ambassador
1,728,439
Debb Janes EcoBroker and Bernie Stea JD
ViewHomes of Clark County - Nature As Neighbors - Camas, WA
REALTORS® in Clark County, WA

Oh my gosh, that's a scary one isn't it? We use a metal bucket for our ashes, and would NEVER leave them inside - even inside the garage. We always take them out and douse them with water before putting out in the compost pile. I'm so glad this ended well and an grateful he had to get up during the night. D 

Jan 12, 2019 08:54 AM #3
Rainmaker
2,378,758
Myrl Jeffcoat
GreatWest Realty - Sacramento, CA
Greater Sacramento Real Estate Agent

Several years ago, I recall a neighbor putting ashes in a trash bin next to his home.  It ignited the other contents of the bin, and had it not been for a neighbor who caught the smoke and flames from his bedroom window, a couple houses would have been in danger.

Jan 12, 2019 09:12 AM #4
Rainmaker
5,067,275
Roy Kelley
Realty Group Referrals - Gaithersburg, MD

Wow. This is a great lesson to share.

Have a safe weekend.

Jan 12, 2019 10:35 AM #5
Rainmaker
5,067,275
Roy Kelley
Realty Group Referrals - Gaithersburg, MD

I thought you would enjoy this photograph by Charles Wilson.

Stars over Minnesota

Image may contain: night and sky
 
 
Jan 12, 2019 10:36 AM #6
Ambassador
3,002,515
Debe Maxwell, CRS
www.iCharlotteHomes.com | The Maxwell House Group | RE/MAX Executive | (704) 491-3310 - Charlotte, NC
Charlotte Homes for Sale - Charlotte Neighborhoods

Great PSA, William - you certainly cannot be too careful with those ashes.

Jan 12, 2019 10:39 AM #7
Rainmaker
1,332,443
Kat Palmiotti
Grand Lux Realty, Monroe NY, 914-419-0270, kat@thehousekat.com - Monroe, NY
The House Kat

Yikes! We use a metal bucket for our ashes; and we usually don't put them in the bucket until at least 24 hours after the fire's out, and even then sometimes there are still embers. Anyone with a fire must be careful!

Jan 12, 2019 12:32 PM #8
Rainmaker
506,924
Francine Viola
Coldwell Banker Evergreen Olympic Realty, Olympia WA - Olympia, WA
REALTOR®, In Tune with your Real Estate Needs

He is very lucky we woke up and caught that melting pail - he really did avert what could have been a horrible tragedy.

Jan 12, 2019 08:19 PM #9
Ambassador
2,946,176
Paul S. Henderson, REALTOR®, CRS
RE/MAX Northwest. - Tacoma, WA
Tacoma Washington Agent/Broker & Market Authority!

I am extremely careful with my wood stove ash William Feela 

Jan 12, 2019 09:47 PM #10
Rainmaker
2,710,646
James Dray
Fathom Realty AR LLC - Bentonville, AR
Exceptional Agents, Outstanding Results

Morning again William

Thankfully, I have never really wanted a wood burning fireplace.  While they give warmth to the home, they are just too much work for me.

Jan 13, 2019 02:51 AM #11
Rainmaker
3,364,819
Sheila Anderson
Referral Group Incorporated - East Brunswick, NJ
The Real Estate Whisperer Who Listens 732-715-1133

Good morning William. OMG....how close was this to disaster. Not smart, not smart at all,

Jan 13, 2019 05:52 AM #12
Rainmaker
623,890
Vern Eaton
Askov, MN
Realtor 651-674-7449

WEll they do say most fires are from some careless act.  Caution needs to be taken

Jan 13, 2019 06:32 AM #13
Rainmaker
1,895,108
Patricia Feager, MBA, CRS, GRI,MRP
DFW FINE PROPERTIES - Southlake, TX
Selling Homes Changing Lives

William Feela - This is certainly a good warning about the plastic pail and leaving hot embers and ashes inside while you go to bed. Thank God for nature called! The results, if he had not been awoken would have been tragic. 

When it comes to safety, I know with 100% certainty you take this very seriously. 

Jan 13, 2019 11:12 AM #14
Rainmaker
2,442,833
Rebecca Gaujot, Realtor®
Vision Quest Realty, Martha Hilton, Broker - Lewisburg, WV
Lewisburg WV, the go to agent for all real estate

This is a good lesson for everyone with wood stoves and fireplaces. I am sure he will never use a plastic bucket again to deposit ashes from the fireplace.   

Jan 14, 2019 06:18 AM #15
Rainmaker
508,054
Maria Sapio
Berkshire Hathaway Homesale Realty - Carlisle, PA
Real Estate Agent- Carlisle, PA. Mariasapio.com

Oh my ... what a story - this was great information to share.

Jan 14, 2019 09:00 AM #16
Post a Comment
Spam prevention
Show All Comments

What's the reason you're reporting this blog entry?

Are you sure you want to report this blog entry as spam?

Rainmaker
3,933,977

William Feela

Realtor, Whispering Pines Realty 651-674-5999 No.
Wonder what your property is worth?
*
*
*
*
Spam prevention

Additional Information