Community Guidelines - Yes, This Means YOU!
Plagarism is REAL and it is a SERIOUS offense.
Back in the day, one of our original bloggers here in the Rain, Lenn Harley, taught us on many occasions to write our own content - the copyright infringement problem is real. Here is one of Lenn's posts about the topic of plagiarism. The problem continues and if you are old or new to this forum, please read the Community Guidelines here.
- Do not plagiarize content from another source and publish it as your own. You must obtain explicit permission from the original source to republish, and give reference to such within the body of your post. Permission to re-print is NOT the same as permission to re-publish. This also applies to publishing real estate listings that are not your own.
Over the years, we've seen this problem resolved by
- The offended party or the AR Staff (or both) reaching out directly to the guilty party
- The guilty party being removed from the forum
- Attorney Cease & Desist letters issued to the guilty party
- HUGE fines - I've heard $10K fines from members who I know have pursued those who have stolen posts (verbatim or in part) and photos.
I personally know a member who was hit with a HEFTY fine for snagging a picture of a HOT DOG from Google and it happened to be a Getty Image. They take no prisoners, NOR SHOULD WE!
If we are associated with a publisher via membership such as Keeping Current Matters (KCM), we should credit them with any information we use. It was NOT our original content if we utilize their verbiage or their graphs, etc.
That all said, you may not be 'caught,' confronted or even fined the first time but, why even take the chance? BE ORIGINAL!
Thank you, Lynn B. Friedman, for encouraging ALL members to go back and read the Community Guidelines - something which all members should be keenly aware.
© Debe Maxwell | The Maxwell House Group | CharlotteBroker@icloud.com | Community Guidelines - Yes, This Means YOU!