How much is Free advice worth? That is the question of the day. The last few days were very trying as a Manchester NH area seller solicited advice from everyone and anyone but the listing agent. Take a home priced at the highest end of the market. A home needing some work. A home that has been for sale longer than neighbors who chose to list at market price. The seller ignores the listing agents value and Ignores the listing agents advice.
Some sellers can hinder their sale more than any other market force. Below let me list some of the worst advice I have heard, seen and experienced recently. (These are all real life experiences)
1. "You can sell your home AS IS, you do not need to disclose or fix anything." The problem is, an owner occupied seller must disclose anything and everything regarding a homes condition. You can not hide behind AS IS if you know there are any issues.
2. The seller received this advice from an out state Realtor Friend who said "That in my state the seller does not pay the buyer broker fee, so keep more of your money by refusing to pay any buyer broker." In NH it is common to build the buyer broker fee into the price. Buyer Brokers mean more potential buyers. In reality this seller has limited the amount of buyers who are seeing her home.
3. That a request to reduce the price by the listing agent got the reply, "My friend in banking said, it is still a sellers market and I can ask what ever price I want." True you can ask what ever price you want, but the market has swung. The truth is buyers are not over paying for homes.
4. That after getting an offer, acceptng said offer and signing all the contracts... Saying that, "My lawyer wants to review the contract." Then said lawyer re-writes the contract despite that it has already been signed and executed.
5. That when a lawyer decides the listing agent should reduce their commission because they think the sale was "too easy"
The moral of the story is that the Seller needs to work with the agent to sell the home and not against them. That beware of free advice, it can lead to dispair and ruin th ebest of sales.
You simply need to know that a Buyer or Seller should not choose just any agent, choose the BEST agent for the job. Having an agent that works for you is a must.
My philosophy is simple, provide more personal and professional service to guide my clients through each step of the buying or selling process. All Agents are not created equal and every buyer or seller should take the time to hire the BEST not just the biggest. Those that hire me, find a dedication like no other.