I lied the other day.
I didn't mean to, but I misrepresented what I thought was a fact.
As this community is prone to do periodically, someone asked "How do you get a featured post?".
But I said I'd never gotten a consumer phone call due to a Featured post (and I've received a LOT of featured posts during my current 8.5 year run of posting daily).
I actually have. Below are my most viewed Featured posts and the ones with the arrows next to them? Those have all caused me to receive home buyer calls, and in some cases even led to a closing.
Now here's the caveats:
- The calls had NOTHING to do with the post being featured. It was content the consumer sought and found, sometimes years after the post was published. NONE of those calls happened while a post was on ActiveRain's front page.
- As far as I can tell, there's ZERO extra SEO for being on the front page.
- Those posts that caused calls AND were Featured? They wouldn't meet what appears to be today's selection criteria. Note those posts are from 2012 and 2013. Localism posts no longer make the cut and haven't for years, but once upon a time even a market report might get featured.
Now if getting Featured is more important than getting calls, here's what I can tell you. Featured posts ARE good for the ego, and aren't most of us in this business pretty competitive?
So how do you increase the odds? Watch the Feature Board long enough and you'll see some patterns:
1. Those posts that highlight other members do well:
- Kathy Streib 's AHA posts on Sundays.
- Carol Williams' Saturday Second Chances
- Anita Clark's Facebook Fridays
2. Tutorials/Tech tips that help ActiveRainers blog better, improve their website, etc.
3. Posts about ActiveRain tend to do well (milestones, meet ups, etc.)
4. Posts with BROAD appeal to the membership.
5. Current events. Be one of the first out the gate when some new "earthshattering" news comes out that is going to end real estate as we all know it!!
6. A good story about life in real estate. It's common ground, we've all had those roller coaster moments and high or low, we can identify with them.
7. Posts that are easy on the eye with font/spacing/pictures. A wall of words can be tough to read.
What's NOT going to get a wave of the Feature Fairy's wand?
You know...those things that are MOST likely to make your phone ring with new business either this week or 5 years from now.
The other thing not to expect? LOTS of comments! While once upon a time a Featured post might generate 50 comments minimum, take a look on the front page and you'll see is MOSTLY low counts for comments. But for the most part, getting a Feature DOES still reach a wider audience in the Rain, especially if it gets picked up for the Daily Drop.
The other thing to consider is the odds are smaller than ever of getting featured. Years back there were 18 spots on the front page and they typically rotated a full page during the day. If you watch now, there are fewer slots and the cycling is slower, MUCH slower. Obviously feature posts are NOT the priority for ActiveRain that they once were.
Do deserving posts get missed? Every day.
Do some that probably shouldn't get Featured get the nod? You bet.
Okay, that's the Cliff Notes version on Feature posts from my observations.
Any questions? Ask An Ambassador. I'll get back to you as soon as I can.
Until next Tuesday, just Ask An Ambassador if you need help!
Bill of Liz and Bill aka BLiz