Patricia Feager, 3/8/19
Building technology and automation have changed the way people live. When buying a new home there are many things Buyers need to be aware of when transferring ownership from Sellers to Buyers that need to be addressed prior to closing. Home Inspectors need to have access to automation for their home inspections too. Many of these devices are controlled by apps, passwords, and the owner's smartphones. Has your Home Inspector been trained to inspect automation?
Something to think about:
- Combining Systems like Lighting and Shades
- Automation Interfaces (Lights, TV, Music, Morning, TYM)
- Automation HVAC
- Automation Pool
- Automation Mosquito Misting
- Automation Sprinklers
- Is it easier to give User Names & Passwords; then let New Owners change passwords?
- What happens if the information is not available?
- Can devices be factory defaulted and reset?
- Does the manufacturer need to be contacted to allow access?
INTERNET & BLUETOOTH
- Usually, all BlueTooth products are taken by the homeowner
- If the information is not left for a new owner, Internet Router has to be reset/reprogrammed
- Automation Systems may need to be reconfigured for new owners
AUTOMATED SYSTEMS THAT NEED TO BE TRANSFERRED
- Control Systems
- Home Security Systems/Cameras
- Video Doorbells
- Smart Speakers
- Garage Door
- Irrigation Systems
- Pool control
- When using Cloud-Based Surveillance, make sure old recordings are blocked when the previous service has been discontinued.
- Apps need to be reassigned to new Home Owners
WHEN YOU DON'T KNOW, WHO DO YOU CALL?
Contact a Certified Integrator, such as Consumer Technology Association, or Custom Electronic Design & Installation Association.